Railroad Forums 

• NS vs CSX???

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#190259  by wolfe

I have seen only a few comments about NS, not flattering either. CSX seems to get some favorable words. I am slated to attend a NS hiring session on 12/01 and have already been accepted to AMDG, yes Choo-choo school, starting 12/19. I would appreciate info on both from as many people as possible. NS pays you while in training and I have to pay to go to AMDG. Beyond that, and more importantly, the scoop on the companies from those of you who have been around a few years.

Wolfe

#190411  by wolfe

BUELLER?.......BUELLER?????? :(
 #190414  by jg greenwood

wolfe wrote:I have seen only a few comments about NS, not flattering either. CSX seems to get some favorable words. I am slated to attend a NS hiring session on 12/01 and have already been accepted to AMDG, yes Choo-choo school, starting 12/19. I would appreciate info on both from as many people as possible. NS pays you while in training and I have to pay to go to AMDG. Beyond that, and more importantly, the scoop on the companies from those of you who have been around a few years.

Wolfe
Unless they've recently changed, the NS doesn't have guaranteed extra boards (trainman). As a new-hire, that's all the info required to make my decision.

#190431  by narsgrad

...don't know anything about AMDG, but if you can get your money back, I would STRONGLY suggest NARS. Most of the people whose names i recall from my class are now employed by BNSF (kept looking on seniority roster). BNSF pays well during the 13-15 weeks of training + you have system-wide seniority.

I believe NARS to be the "Harvard" amongst railroad training programs (no, I'm not a spokesperson...). It is looked upon very favorably by others I've spoken with in the industry.

Some will tell you it's a waste of money to attend one of these schools. I attended a hiring session (bnsf) and wasn't hired. I applied for the NARS program, completed it, and was made an offer the Tuesday following graduation by bnsf. I've been employed about 6 months now and believe the route I took was the best career move i've ever made.

I don't go out of my way to tell people at work that i'm a nars grad, but if it comes up in conversation relating to how and why i went to work for the rr, i tell them. So, far, every reply i've heard is positive with respect to their having heard about the program.

I wish you luck with your pending career!

#190678  by wolfe

I will ask about the extra board on the 1rst. CSX uses AMDG and others will be shortly. Thank you for the input!

#190897  by CSX Conductor

CSXT pays for your training as well. Last I heard it was just shy of $700/week. :wink:

#190976  by wolfe

Is that only IF you can get hired by CSX before going through the school (AMDG) or once you are hired and have to do more training in Atlanta? It would be nice to get paid, instead of paying! How do you like CSX? No one has any opinions on NS vs CSX so far, interesting!

Thank you.

#191274  by CSX Conductor

Basically you are buying the job. (This is why there are some that just shouldn't be on the property :-( ). Now as for when you start being paid by CSXT if you go through with the program. I totally agree that it would be better if we didn't have to pay, but trust me I have made my money back and then some!! :-D
wolfe wrote:How do you like CSX?
It's just like any other company, sometimes they do little things that really put a sour taste in your mouth. :( Overall they aren't as bad as some other major carriers, from what I hear.

#191314  by wolfe

Thanks Guru. I got a conditional offer from NS today and will go for the drug test tomorrow. Atleast I have options now! I hated the idea of having to pay to "hopefully" get a job, but there has not been many open positions in Central IL. lately on any of the RR's. Oddly enough, one of the people conducting the interview session for NS is an instructor for AMDG! Evidentally, the are able to contract out for other company's hiring sessions. I guess I have reached the fork in the road, heads or tails here I come :-D

#191358  by DJ

I agree with CSX Conductor.

CSX pays you $744 a week for OJT starting your first day in Atlanta. Atlanta is two weeks and then you go to your home terminal for more OJT, still paid.

While you are at AMDG for 5 weeks, you are not paid by CSX. However if you pass AMDG(which should not be a problem) you will get hired, and go to Atlanta.

Basically, once you get into AMDG, the rest is up to you.

The money that can be made with CSX once you markup will make you forget all about the $4000+ you paid for AMDG.

As far as working for CSX goes, I'm brand new but so far it's much better than working in the food service industry, which I did for 15 years.

#191744  by wolfe

Thanks DJ. Unfortunately, CSX seems to be only hiring through AMDG in my area. Unless there is another way in besides the web. I took the physical and started the background check for NS. The pay seems to equal with all Class 1s, so I would rather be employed than be about $6k in the hole before I even get started working. NS is the largest by far in my area and is hiring alot of people. It seems like getting some seniority soon is in my favor also. I think NS is the way to go in this case.