Railroad Forums 

• NS vs CSX Conductor Position

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#336581  by steved440

I have been offered a Conductor position from both CSX and NS. Can anyone objectively reply with Pros and Cons of each company based on first hand experience?
Thanks,
Steve

#336696  by extra-man

I work for NS,as a conductor.Don't know about CSX,but NS expects you to work by the rules,do so and you will not have a problem.the way I look at it ,when NS offered me the job and I accepted,I agreed to work by the rules.Once you are out here, there are people who will try and influence you ,both good and bad about the company or the way to do a particular task.My advice would be to make your own decisions based on safety and tapping an oldhead's experience,but don't let anyone pressure you to do any thing you think may be unsafe.I enjoy my job and would not want to be disiplined for getting caught taking a short-cut to save a minute or two,it just is not worth it.This job is not anywhere close to splitting the atom but the equipment can bite you if you try to bend the rules to get a quit,I want to go home to my family in one piece.Best of luck,work safe.

#336701  by TBRED

Extra man said it all in a nutshell,can't put it any easier than that.
 #336754  by CSX-COAL HAULER

Extra-man-was totally correct about safety---I don't think it matters what line you work for they expect you to follow the rules to a t. If you follow their rules you will make more money out here because it will take longer---remember it's all about the money on payday!!!!! Some of the rules may seem crazy to you (and me) but they say all rules are written from railroaders blood-----meaning someone got hurt or killed from previous actions. Take care of yourself and all your co-workers-----THIS is my number one rule!!!!!
Read all the info you can from the post------most of it is good info---if you have any questions pm---sombody and ask questions--good luck :-D

#336924  by steved440

Thanks Guys