Railroad Forums 

• NS to end switching at Reading?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #616736  by kp5308

I'm being told by a reliable source that NS will end all switching operations at Reading PA in January 2009, with preblocking to be done at Allentown & Enola. Anyone out there with more info?
 #621220  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

NS Spring St yard is closed as of today jan5th. I guess it will be a relay yard only. Xn and Enola will do the blocking. How many years of history has been brought to an end with this development? Wow.
 #621342  by gp80mac

The yard isn't closed. There was a reorganization of its operations. Some jobs were cut, and some jobs had their responsibilities changed.
 #625680  by PVRX1

Anyone want to elaborate on the changes? or give us an idea of Reading current?

The ones that seem to be out and about of late are:
H47 serves the Evansville I.T.
H33 runs west toward Lebanon by day
H31 runs west toward Lebanon by evening
H90 is still running Chapman to Reading and return
H48 seems to get around the Cumru -Birdsboro area

There were also a few others listed and a bunch of yard jobs.

Sveral freight use to make set outs and pick up there, and RBMN KH01 also makes an evening visit to the yard.

Unrelated.......There are also H15 H18 that is working the Port Road and Columbia Secondary now. Don't know if this is H-30 resymbolled or a different job out of Enola
 #625842  by gp80mac

H18 is the symbol for the Lancaster Turn. (enola-lancaster-back to enola). H30 is still the night switcher on the Columbia Secondary.
 #661914  by railroadlover

Well, If they did close this yard, there is alot going on there that shouldnt be.
I live RIGHT across the road from it. And I see everything that enters or exits from the Allentown side(trains GOING to allentown)

Benjamin
 #663204  by gp80mac

Was first trick M-F. I don't know if any TMs still have their office there or not. Any other times, you have to deal with the dispatcher/CYO if you are going in or out.