Railroad Forums 

• NS taking over D&H?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#17686  by scottychaos

This doesent look like a rumour to me..
I hope its not true! but its on the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers & Trainmen webpage..not just some railfan's personal page..

If this is true, it means No more D&H/CP along the entire Southern tier!
No more D&H in Binghamton!
nothing but boring NS EVERYWHERE along the Souther tier line!!
if this is for real, it is really a death blow for the D&H..
:( :( :( :( :( :(

very bad news from a Southern Tier railfan perspective...
and very sad for what is left of our beloved D&H :(

Scot

#17690  by scottychaos

There is nothing about it so far on the official NS or CP webpages..
lets hope for "only a rumour"!

#17696  by nydepot

Interesting.

I also find it interesting all of the things you have to do on the RR for the union. Example:

"Buffalo - Corning Pool under scrutiny (10/31/2003) The Buffalo - Corning Pool (HB/ST BC Pool) is under scrutiny by local management. In accordance with the Harrisburg Division Superintendents Notice, crews are to tie up when ordered for "tramp" service (deadhead on arrival). Crews have been claiming round trip mileage in the past, which is wrong. A deadhead screen must be generated if you are under deadhead conditions. The pool is currently advertised to run between Buffalo, New York (HB/ST MPSR 420) and Corning, New York (HB/ST MPSR291). When a crew is ordered beyond Corning Terminal, say Horseheads and the A&P Industrial, a UA (Used off assigned territory) penalty is to be generated. In this instance, 147 miles (Buffalo - Elmira [HB/ST MPSR 273]) should be claimed, a UA penalty claimed, a tie up screen generated at the Elmira Yard Office."

There is much more on the page itself. I don't think doctors even have to record as much information! Plus, there are examples of notes you should write and turn in when violations are found, citing all of these rules and Awards. Seems like a tremendous amount of paperwork.

Charles

#17706  by johnpbarlow

Just because NS takesover D&H track ownership doesn't mean CP won't still operate the Toronto-Oak Island, Montreal-Philly, and Montreal-Whitehall/Kenwood lanes. Except for Montreal to VRS/CSX Kenwood traffic, they would just be extending operations of trains that already depend on significant NS trackage right mileage. I doubt NS has much interest in this traffic.
 #17712  by bwparker1

Is there a different BLE chapter in Buffalo for those who work for CSX? I have peeked through the BLE 659 Website before, and it seems that it is only related to Norfolk Southern. Roadster, respresents you in Rochester?

Thanks
Brooks

#17781  by joshuahouse

nydepot wrote:Interesting.

"Buffalo - Corning Pool under scrutiny (10/31/2003) The Buffalo - Corning Pool (HB/ST BC Pool) is under scrutiny by local management. In accordance with the Harrisburg Division Superintendents Notice, crews are to tie up when ordered for "tramp" service (deadhead on arrival). Crews have been claiming round trip mileage in the past, which is wrong. A deadhead screen must be generated if you are under deadhead conditions. The pool is currently advertised to run between Buffalo, New York (HB/ST MPSR 420) and Corning, New York (HB/ST MPSR291). When a crew is ordered beyond Corning Terminal, say Horseheads and the A&P Industrial, a UA (Used off assigned territory) penalty is to be generated. In this instance, 147 miles (Buffalo - Elmira [HB/ST MPSR 273]) should be claimed, a UA penalty claimed, a tie up screen generated at the Elmira Yard Office."

Charles
*Snipped and bolded for clarity*

Is this industrial simply for accessing the former A&P plant, or does it also include the track up to holding point and the Suburban Propane facility?

#17791  by Otto Vondrak

The BLE web site says that NS will assume operations of D&H and certain other locations sometime in September 2004. I'm sure the STB will have something to say about that first... along with CSX!

-otto-

#17818  by brianpwestgate

Since NS would be entering into competition with it in certain lanes, I doubt CSXT could complain very loudly. Perhaps however we'll see NYS&W get trackage rights from Scranton to Buffalo and RBM&N rights from Reading to Philadelphia, with access to the D&H facilities there, and with both railroads receiving rights to interchange with any connecting lines.
BPW

#17868  by njt4172

Why would NYSW need to gain access from Scranton to Buffalo?? They don't operate container trains anymore and the road trains they do run are all manifest from Little Ferry, NJ to Binghamton only....Please explain how NYSW could benefit from NS taking over the D&H lines???

Thanks,
Steve

#17885  by brianpwestgate

I don't know, but I'm sure they could figure out something. Maybe they could bring back those container trains though. Really, I was just throwing out a suggestion as to how to pacify any railroads that might be opposed to this rumoured acquisition.
BPW

#17908  by sd80mac

Maybe they could bring back those container trains though

nope - i doubt it!

During CR era, NYSW was basically WORKED for CSX, competited against CR. NYSW hauled SeaLand containers for CSX. When CSX took over CR, CSX has no use of NYSW's service...

Only way NYSW can get back in is if they win contract with one of these large shippers and if NYSW still have trackage right on NS, then NYSW might... I dont know if NYSW still have trackage right on southern tier and NS.

ken

#18014  by DutchRailnut

Don't believe a thing about takeover unless you see it filed here:
http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/Readin ... lyReleases and even then its not final till its studied and approved

#18562  by jayrmli

It would also be interesting to see how this would affect NY Cross Harbor. I doubt NS would continue to float cars via NYCH to Bay Ridge if they had a direct route to Fresh Pond.

Jay

#18583  by Ken W2KB

The cars would still have to go north and back south again, so the car float may still be economic.