• NS Geometry Train

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NV290

mick wrote: Read your Agreement. The Carrier can pick whoever they want to to run a non revenue train carrying only railroad officials. However, that person must be covered under the Agreement, i.e. a union member.
It's not my agreement. I don't work for ST. I am familiar with the contract though.

In any event, what you posted explains what i said earlier. Someone in management can run a Non Revenue train, in this case a Geometry train and there is no claim. A road foreman for example is management, yet still a union member.

by CN9634

So let me see if I get this right, The NS Geometery train came over PAR for the benefit of NS to look at the rails or for PAR to get a look?

by mick

[quote="NV290"][quote="mick"
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

by NellsChoo

My point to make is that PanAm doesn't even HAVE equipment like that! So who else can do it? Sperry? NS? MBTA?

If they don't have a geometry train, they can't run one.

Simple.

by emd_16645

Every year, the Canadian Pacific runs a geometry train over the MMA and the NBSR, but I've never heard a rumor about them looking to buy the lines back.

by ThePointyHairedBoss

Don't Wory Guilford...err...PAR fans, this isn't a sign of a merger between the two. Perhaps they leased it. NellsChoo brings up a good point, if they don't have one, they'll have to get one from somewhere!
  by Rockingham Racer

What's the usual maximum speed of a geometry train?
  by Dist4

atholrail wrote:It appears another GEO train visited the Patriot Corridor the last two days. Anybody know the intent of this visit?
I didn't see a geo train, but I did catch a glimps of a single NS engine with a single coach as is passed my office wed. Didn't expect that one.
  by NV290

Dist4 wrote:
atholrail wrote:It appears another GEO train visited the Patriot Corridor the last two days. Anybody know the intent of this visit?
I didn't see a geo train, but I did catch a glimps of a single NS engine with a single coach as is passed my office wed. Didn't expect that one.
That was the Geometry train. That coach you saw is outfitted with testing equipment to analyze the track (Not for rail defects, it's strictly track geometry). While Geometry "trains" exsist as a single self propelled car, they are also very common as a converted coach. Many railroads still use this method.

The "visit" to Pan Am tracks (soon to be Pan Am Southern) was to check the track structure to see how much more work is needed to get the tracks up to speed come spring when the Merger will be complete and work can begin.
  by railroadManager

Don't forget that many geometry cars include a Gage Restraint Measurement System (GRMS). The FRA requires railroads to do this kind of test on certain intervals. Essentially, it just applies load against the rails and measures how much deviation from gage occurs. If it's too much, it's an FRA violation. I saw the FRA's GRMS car in Maine about 6 years ago, MOW crews were out making corrections before the car made a second run though.