• NS Geometry Train

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by mick

Speeds of 15 to 20 mph are not allowed due to harmonic rockin
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by NellsChoo

One thing's for sure, a freight going a good speed east through Ayer station WILL rock... or at least boxcars do. And the rail is good there, though it may be on the jointed side.

JD

by NV290

newpylong wrote:Hmmm. The majority of the track between XO and Fitchburg is 25, outside of the slow tracks where they exist. The fast track is 25 outside of a few miles of 10... dunno where you get 15, the ST speedo uses 5, 10 or 25, or 30 in a few spots, never seen 15.
The 15 was a typo, i meant to say 25. And what do you mean XO? or did you mean OX? No interlocking on the Fitchburg route known as XO. And from OX to FG is 40 on both tracks. Then 25 on the #1 track and 35 on the #2

newpylong wrote:In most places where new rail was put in, the ballast regulator was run, so dunno about fouled ballast.
A ballast regulator has nothing to do with fouled ballast. Fouled ballst is ballast that is heavily contaminated with dirt, sand and a mixtures of pulverized ballast and organic matter. The only way to rehab fouled ballst is with a ballaste cleaning machine, usually done by outside rail contractors such as Herzog. All a ballast Regulator does is smooth and profile the ballast, but i does nothing to clean it.

by NV290

chadb9 wrote:You guys do realize the post on a certain yahoo group was a joke?? The joke was that they were making a simulator to train engineers on low speed train handling, and 'what better place then on Guilford' to create this simulator.

This is how the rumors get started.
The joke is on you. And it's not a rumour.

The NS simulator on Guilford property is very much for real. In fact, it was in Rotterdam earlier this week (May still be there). It's going to be in Deerfield soon and possibly coming to Ayer for awhile as well. Big white class A motorhome/bus with NS markings on it. The RRDPD was guarding it. The reason it's here is is NS wants to be sure PAR crews fully understand the dynamic braking systems used on NS power since you are going to seeing alot more NS power on PAR.

More and more people are getting the mentallity that everything is a rumour even when the facts come out.

by MEC407

NV290 wrote:
chadb9 wrote:You guys do realize the post on a certain yahoo group was a joke?? The joke was that they were making a simulator to train engineers on low speed train handling, and 'what better place then on Guilford' to create this simulator.

This is just a case of misunderstanding/miscommunication. What chadb9 was referring to was a fake press release on the GuilfordRailSightings and PanAmRailfans groups, authored by a "reporter" named I.M. Kidden. That "press release" was, obviously, a joke.

It read, in part:
"Contrary to popular belief, it's not easy to drive a train in slow motion," a spokesman for NS said. "Occasionally, our engineers face slow orders that require operating their trains at 10 MPH. This can be a challenge for the crews that are used to much higher speeds."

So NS initiated a program called 'Go Really Slow' or GRS. The object of the program is to help teach their engineers how to handle their trains when faced with slow orders.

"What better place to gain valuable experience in running slow trains than on the west end of the old Guilford Rail System," the spokesman said. "We might see a mile or two on occasion but these guys have entire districts running at that speed. Our guys are amazed at how well the old Guilford crews handle their trains."
Clearly tongue-in-cheek.

by NV290

mick wrote: No train can be operated by NS crews on ST without a Pilot. If that NS train was operated on ST rails with a pilot, the next available men on the East Deerfield Spare List are entitled to any lost earnings from that run. NS crews do not operate on ST.
If you are reffering to my comment about the NS geometry train being crewed by NS, i stated the truth. The geometry/engineering cars operators themselves are NS employees. The engine crew pulling it will always be a crew from whatever railroad the car is travelling/working on.

And as for "If that NS train was operated on ST rails with a pilot, the next available men on the East Deerfield Spare List are entitled to any lost earnings from that run", that is not accurate. There is nothing that states what spare board crews get first call for a special train. Whevever the train is starting it's work day is where the crew can first be called from. Ayer, Mechanicville, Deerfield, etc. It's not just deerfield. And to add, the crew office can assign any on duty crew to any train they want and that does not mean a spare board person is entitled to a time claim. There is alot more to the labor contracts then you know.

by NV290

MEC407 wrote:
NV290 wrote:

This is just a case of misunderstanding/miscommunication. What chadb9 was referring to was a fake press release on the GuilfordRailSightings and PanAmRailfans groups, authored by a "reporter" named I.M. Kidden. That "press release" was, obviously, a joke.

It read, in part:
"Contrary to popular belief, it's not easy to drive a train in slow motion," a spokesman for NS said. "Occasionally, our engineers face slow orders that require operating their trains at 10 MPH. This can be a challenge for the crews that are used to much higher speeds."

So NS initiated a program called 'Go Really Slow' or GRS. The object of the program is to help teach their engineers how to handle their trains when faced with slow orders.

"What better place to gain valuable experience in running slow trains than on the west end of the old Guilford Rail System," the spokesman said. "We might see a mile or two on occasion but these guys have entire districts running at that speed. Our guys are amazed at how well the old Guilford crews handle their trains."
Clearly tongue-in-cheek.
Was unaware of the thread. My mistake.

by johnpbarlow

XO = D&H XO Tower in Mechanicville that used to control D&H and B&M crossing.
  by Gary Young

That's what it was MEC 407,a joke. :-)

by Finch

The reason it's here is is NS wants to be sure PAR crews fully understand the dynamic braking systems used on NS power since you are going to seeing alot more NS power on PAR.
Can someone elaborate on this? Are we really going to be seeing more NS power on PAR, and if so, why?

by NV290

johnpbarlow wrote:XO = D&H XO Tower in Mechanicville that used to control D&H and B&M crossing.
Oh, ok. I thought he was talking OX, my mistake.

by NV290

Finch wrote: Are we really going to be seeing more NS power on PAR, and if so, why?
It's actually already happening. NS six axle units are turning up on many manifest trains coming from as far as Lowell. But NS power on AYMO/MOAY will be more common and possibly on more trains in the very near future.

by roberttosh

I'm also hearing from very reliable sources that something is up. Not sure if it's trackage rights, joint operations or what, but they are definately in negotiations.
  by Gary Young

NV290 wrote:
Finch wrote: Are we really going to be seeing more NS power on PAR, and if so, why?
It's actually already happening. NS six axle units are turning up on many manifest trains coming from as far as Lowell. But NS power on AYMO/MOAY will be more common and possibly on more trains in the very near future.
""PanAm is using the NS power off the empty Bow coal and once and a while off the loaded Bow coal trains.That is where they get the power for their manifest trains.There is only once I know of that the NS came through on MOAY/AYMO.They used NS power on this train off the empty Bow coal trains.As long as PanAm has units running off hours down on NS property PanAm will continued to use NS power.Sometimes they keep an NS engine on the property for three or four weeks.They have been doing this for two years now.
  by NV290

Gary Young wrote: ""PanAm is using the NS power off the empty Bow coal and once and a while off the loaded Bow coal trains.That is where they get the power for their manifest trains.There is only once I know of that the NS came through on MOAY/AYMO.They used NS power on this train off the empty Bow coal trains.As long as PanAm has units running off hours down on NS property PanAm will continued to use NS power.Sometimes they keep an NS engine on the property for three or four weeks.They have been doing this for two years now.
I am well aware of them diverting one unit off of loaded coal trains once they reach CPF303 and then using them for other trains. That is nothing new. That has been going on for years. But there has been an influx of added units. In addition to coal train power. That is why the simulator is coming around now. And they are in planning stages for assigning NS power to the AYMO/MOAY train on a regular basis.

As to not feed the rumour mill. People need to to just be patient. Everything will start to make sense soon. Just leave it at that.