Railroad Forums 

• NS Geometry Train at the Willows

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1044302  by boatsmate

Great Video- now I have 2 questions, 1 why have NS test when the FRA is testing also?? FRA GOE train is in the area ir was, or do they test differnt things. 2nd what kind of Engine is the NS 32 (?) i saw following the Conrail unit. never seen anything like it before.

Thanks in advance

Bill
 #1044366  by Dick H

I could not find the NS 32 mentioned specifically, but NS has several
of these units, which were built from retired locos SD35s. I don't
think they have any locomotive capabilities. Rather they house some
equipment related to the geometry trains. Here's one site I found on
the issues. If you "ggogle" Norfolk Southern Geometry Train, there are
more sites.

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/displayFor ... 1180422353
 #1044776  by 130MM

boatsmate wrote:Great Video- now I have 2 questions, 1 why have NS test when the FRA is testing also?? FRA GOE train is in the area ir was, or do they test differnt things. 2nd what kind of Engine is the NS 32 (?) i saw following the Conrail unit. never seen anything like it before.

Thanks in advance

Bill
1. The FRA car and this equipment both measure track geometry. The FRA sets its own schedule, which the railroad doesn't control. To ensure they test everything they are interested in the RR's schedule their own cars. The FRA car comes when it comes. It generally concentrates on passenger and haz-mat routes.

2. The NS unit measures "loaded" track parameters. This means the track is measured with the weight of a train on it. Obviously, the track moves under load, and this equipment measures the track at that point. (To be honest, no one cares what the track measures when a train is not on the track). And the 32 supplies the load. Sometimes, the cars will measure the gage before the load is applied, and compare that measurement to the loaded gage. The size of the change can indicate spots of weak ties that may not be obvious to the eye.

DAW