• NS 68Q and Port Reading

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by kamerad47

Who does the switching for Motiva???
  by RailsEast

The road crew (NS68Q or 66Q) will bring the train onto the Chemical Coast and park it. A CSAO crew from Port Reading Yard will then spot the loads, using a 'PR' symbol (PR8, PR19 are common, but can be others). I noticed that motiva has 2 trackmobiles on the property, but I have never seen them in use. Just the reverse for the empties; a PR crew will pull the train out, and park it on one of the sidings at Carteret, or sometimes take it up to Oak Island, for an NS road crew to climb aboard.
  by wolfboy8171981

If I remember correctly, the trackmobiles would be used to respot the tank cars under the racks. Each track doesn't have enough racks for the ammount of cars that they can hold. So so tracks would need to be pushed forward and some pulled back to get all 80 cars unloaded.
  by RailsEast

Nice to see a rare Espee unit again, only slightly patched; spotted loads at 1100 hours today, will 'probably' leave tomorrow morning.....

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=2477964
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=2477967
  by ChrisU

Great catch.
  by Irishiron

68Q 21 at Altoona, called for 3:15pm.

NS 9624
KCS 4705 Southern Belle
BNSF 7482 Heritage III

Dunno how long or if he'll get parked in Rutherford.
  by wolfboy8171981

NS68Q-20 is called for 1900 in Harrisburg and is released to come thru
NS68Q-19 is called for 2030 at Altoona and is released to come thru
NS68Q-22 is inroute to Chicago and not yet released.

There is no NS68Q-21 inroute.
  by ChrisU

Why do they have 3 different trains with the same symbol do they all go to/from the same place?
  by Irishiron

wolfboy8171981 wrote:NS68Q-20 is called for 1900 in Harrisburg and is released to come thru

It's 68Q 20 then. Email I was sent was wrong. Thank you Wolf.

All three were elephant style by me at 155.8/Denholm just before 6pm, 99 cars. 2 TILX CH head buffers, 96 ethanol, 1 NS gon rear buffer.
NJTArrow2 wrote:Why do they have 3 different trains with the same symbol do they all go to/from the same place?
Yes they all go to the same place in this case. The origin can vary depending on which railroad it's handed off from. It's simple really. Just 3 train loads worth, from three different days, all keeping the supply chain moving.
  by RailsEast

Nice shot, NJT; I heard those units were at Tremley, but was pressed for time; I did catch a nice 69Q yesterday at CP-PD though.....

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=2503278

And to elaborate, 66Q & 68Q are NS ethanol loads to the Chemical Coast; the 2 digits after the symbol is the day of the month that the train originated (or came onto the NS system, I'm not sure which). 68Q-19 is a loaded ethanol train that originated on the 19th day (in this case April). You will generally just hear the basic symbol (68Q) when listening on the radio.
Chris
  by ChrisU

Irishiron wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:NS68Q-20 is called for 1900 in Harrisburg and is released to come thru

It's 68Q 20 then. Email I was sent was wrong. Thank you Wolf.

All three were elephant style by me at 155.8/Denholm just before 6pm, 99 cars. 2 TILX CH head buffers, 96 ethanol, 1 NS gon rear buffer.
NJTArrow2 wrote:Why do they have 3 different trains with the same symbol do they all go to/from the same place?
Yes they all go to the same place in this case. The origin can vary depending on which railroad it's handed off from. It's simple really. Just 3 train loads worth, from three different days, all keeping the supply chain moving.
Thanks.
  by ChrisU

RailsEast wrote:Nice shot, NJT; I heard those units were at Tremley, but was pressed for time; I did catch a nice 69Q yesterday at CP-PD though.....

And to elaborate, 66Q & 68Q are NS ethanol loads to the Chemical Coast; the 2 digits after the symbol is the day of the month that the train originated (or came onto the NS system, I'm not sure which). 68Q-19 is a loaded ethanol train that originated on the 19th day (in this case April). You will generally just hear the basic symbol (68Q) when listening on the radio.
Chris
Thanks,nice picture at Port Reading.
  by ChrisU

RailsEast wrote:Nice shot, NJT; I heard those units were at Tremley, but was pressed for time; I did catch a nice 69Q yesterday at CP-PD though.....

Chris
66Q is the one that goes to Tremley right?
  by Irishiron

NJTArrow2 wrote:66Q is the one that goes to Tremley right?
Yessir.