Railroad Forums 

• Nova Scotia Inquiry

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#46695  by SnoozerZ49

Good Day:

I have a very obscure question to ask. I am searching for a "Trains" magazine article that I believe was written in the 1980's regarding CN operations on a branch line between Bridgewater, Nova Scotia and Digby, Nova Scotia. My mother came from a village along the line and the well written article would be a welcome addition to the collection of information that I am trying to assemble.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

#48852  by Highball

:P Joe,

Good News..... After an " exhaustive " search of my magazine collection ( that's o.k., gave me the opportunity to finally organize things in my garage ), I found the Trains magazine that featured CN's operation of the Bridgewater-Middleton, Nova Scotia branchline. I recall reading the article last year, so that is why I knew it was " out " there.

The April 1977 issue story of the operation is titled " Conceived of Cannibalism "....... referring to the locomotives that worked this particular CN branch at the time the story's author visited the operation, the autumn of 1975.

The units were MLW RSC24'S and only four were built, in 1959, road numbers being 1800 to 1803. By mid May, 1976, the last unit was retired.

CN produced another class of locomotive in 1975-1976 that served the Bridgewater branch and other Maritime Province branchlines until the late 1980's..... the MR-14 Class, Road #'s being 1750 to 1787.

Converted from RS-18 units in the 3843 to 3893 series, horsepower was reduced to 1400 from 1800; B-B wheel sets replaced with A1A-A1A sets from RSC-13's 1700-1734 and RSC-24'S 1800, 1801, 1803. # 1802 was wrecked in May, 1969 and retired later that same year.

I would like to add further to a Train's June 1983 article, by Greg McDonnell, titled " From Sydney to Squamish , S2 to M420 ", an extensive one on the products of Montreal Locomotive Works in Canada. There is a reference to the Bridgewater operation and a picture of two CN units, #'s 1777 and 1781 heading a Bridgewater local in September,1980.

Brian

#79789  by SnoozerZ49

Brian:

Sorry it took me so long to check back. Thank you for the information on the April 77 isue of "Trains". I was able to find it and purchase a copy.

I am off to Nova Scotia on January 3rd to visit family in Antigonish. The article from "77" will be along for the ride. Thanks again.

Joe