Railroad Forums 

• Northport

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #142059  by Legio X

In one of the other topics, a reference was made to an NYA train leaving Northport with flatcars. Is NYA serving a customer in Northport, and if so, where is it?

#142142  by mainline

No customer in Northport. The flats are from a steel customer in St. James.

#164746  by Legio X

How often does NYA pass through Northport to serve customers east of there, and roughly around what time?

#164756  by tushykushy

RS-30 goes there and it's more often than you think. Plenty of lumber goes up there.

Usually pass divide between 9-10am.

#165261  by alcoc420

The RS-30 seems to go through Smithtown about twice a week. The EB is usually between 10 and 10:30AM, sometimes around 11:30. So Northport would be around 15-20 minutes earlier. It goes WB thru Smithtown usually between 12:30 and 1PM. Figure they need to move around LIRR meets in Kings Park.

#359254  by shmshm

in response to tushykushy saying 'plenty of lumber goes up there', where would lumber be going in northport?

and anyone have any photos of the old northport sidings? the ones that lead to the trolley connection?

#360462  by phantom

3 Lumber customers on the Port Jeff. Kleet and Nassau Suffolk in Huntington. Occasional car for Nassau Suffolk in Port Jeff proper. Most trips involve a turn @ Duke (Northport) and return.

#361045  by shmshm

simple enough. :-D

#361112  by SOO4601

I'm not sure if I understodd properly or not but,
Does NY&A run a freight through Smithtown twice a week, every week?
I would sure love it if they did, and would love to know the times they went through to video thape 'em. :wink:

Dietrich :-)

#362185  by John 61

Dietrich, The NYA does not go through Smithtown twice a week. It all depends on service to either Pt.Jeff or St.James. Nassau Suffolk in Port Jeff only received about 12-14 cars last year. Sometimes I wouldn't see a freight for about three weeks. Usually if they deliver a carload on Thursday they have to make another trip the following week to pick up the empty. Sometimes if they bring a load out on Tuesday they might be back on Friday to pick it up . In that case it's twice a week. I do belive that they service Huntington twice a week and usually turn at Northport.

#362188  by SOO4601

That's what I thought because I had seen you say that Smithtown only sees about 14 cars a year, and I was thinking, Wow! I really have to get my Dad to come video taping with me! Now I have to get out to Huntington! :wink:

Thanks,
Dietrich :-)

#370809  by Spartan Phalanx

Today, NYA was at Northport, waiting for the W/B LIRR departure at 1218 to pass. Two GP38-2's, looking very sharp in their new livery, and a mixed bag of loaded centerbeam flatcars, boxcars and covered hoppers. This train then headed west to switch the lumberyards in Huntington, exchanging the loads for empties, leaving Huntington around 1320 or so. The tankcar on the team track west of the station is still there, I believe. It's been there for awhile. A question: What customer were the covered hoppers for, or from? I did'nt know there was an NYA customer on the Port Jefferson Branch that utilized covered hoppers. Good show today, lads. Thanks.

#370874  by iamchris9119

Saw that one today too! ;)

#371784  by phantom

Tanks in Huntington team are for a calcium chloride (de-icer) customer. He also receives an occassional boxcar in Greenlawn

#371827  by mainline

Hoppers went to Hicksville transload facility. Customer was Eastern Fence.