Railroad Forums 

• Northern Branch Sighting....The train hasnt gone home yet!!!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#105852  by JLo

why would they have "EXEMPT" on the crossing signals in Northvale if it still crosses road?
Probably because it is such a rare occurence. The Chimney Rock spur off the RVL also has exempt signs on Rt 22, even though NJT's ballast train uses the spur 2 or 3 times a month. It would be more dangerous if school buses and certain dangerous cargo carriers had to stop in a 55 mph zone.
 #106320  by MikeW

Isn't Northvale in Bergen County and Chimmey Rock in Somerset County? Sorry if I misspelled anything.
 #106367  by Lackawanna484

MikeW wrote:Isn't Northvale in Bergen County and Chimmey Rock in Somerset County? Sorry if I misspelled anything.
Yes. and Yes

#106445  by steemtrayn

An "exempt" sign doesn't mean the track is no longer used, it just lets drivers of trucks and buses know that they are not required to stop at the crossing. On the rare occassions when a train does come, it will stop and a crew member will flag the crossing.

#107666  by GSP163

The local fright that travels up the Northern Branch is idling behind McDonalds in Northvale. The engines are two leased HLFX engines. One is in BNSF paint scheme. If you want to get some cool sunset shots Id get down to the line soon.

This is the first time I have seen it this far. How often does it travel to Northvale? Whens the next time I can catch the local on this line up near Closter? Also why would they have "EXEMPT" on the crossing signals in Northvale if it still crosses road?
From what I remember trains travel up to Northvale at least once a week......There is one company left that gets plenty of rail cars (which is located right near the Mc Donalds on Pegasus Road)........I caught one up there a few months ago and sat and waited in the dirt parking lot just off of Pierron St.......It was around 1pm on a Monday.

Where in Northvale do they have "Exempt" signs?.......The last 3 crossings on the Northern Branch are Broadway, Paris Ave, and Pierron St. and none of them have Exempt signs......Pierron St. is the only crossing without lights and bells but they are not needed because the road is small and the trains travel extremely slow there.