Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Local on the NJT Main Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#65236  by trainfreak

Hey forum. I have a quick question for you guys and gals along with some photos too. I was just wondering what Norfolk Southern local switches on the Main Line during daylight? I saw it on Monday 11/01/04 at around 2 pm in Paterson from Garret Mountain. If anyone could tell me what local this was that would be great. Now for the photos.
http://trainfreak.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=60584
http://trainfreak.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=60586
http://trainfreak.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=60590
I hope everyone likes the photos.

#65388  by Phase Gap

I believe the local is NS H-55 out of Suffern.They work Paterson during the day.

#65434  by trainfreak

Thanks for clearing that up. It was definatley cool to see that local from atop Garret Mountain. Another question. You can see from Rt 80 a facility that has a lot of plastic pellet cars and what appear to be grain cars. Infact yesterdays train seemed to be all cars like that. What kind of facility is it that recieves those cars?

#65501  by Phase Gap

Well what you see is called Bulkmatic(spelling might be wrong sorry). Its is all plastic pellets. The grain cars are for Baystate in Paterson. They get about 40 cars a week.I hope that helps.

#65506  by Lackawanna484

Phase Gap wrote:Well what you see is called Bulkmatic(spelling might be wrong sorry). Its is all plastic pellets. The grain cars are for Baystate in Paterson. They get about 40 cars a week.I hope that helps.
------------------------

I believe that yard was known as "Getty Avenue" and "Can Yard" during E-L days. It sits on the south side of what was once the Erie Main Line from Paterson through Passaic, across the river to Carlton Hill, and down to BJ.

If you're into exotic foods, the Paterson Farmer's Market sits alongside the former Main Line just west of Crooks Avenue, and east of Getty Yard. Lots of super fresh produce, meats, spices, etc

#65590  by trainfreak

There really seems to be a lot of Bulkmatic operations around New Jersey. I know the NYSW has two or three of them along their line.

#65655  by wis bang

Bulkmatic was in Oakland and Paterson and they are from Indiana. they hauled mostly flour which was their original main commodity. In 1998 they purchased Bulk Transfer & Transport in North Bergen. I was the manager there and had .5 days notice that the place had been sold.

Along w/ A & R, they are one of the largest bulk haulers doing rail to truck transfers.

Up by NYS&W's offices in Ridgefield Park was Mirrors, Inc. that was bought out by Transplastics; a division of Chemical Leaman, now Quality Carriers in Tampa.

Matlack also had a variety of rail to truck business which Superior Carriers grabbed a bunch including the facility in E'Port when Matlack went chaper 7...

Bulk's yard in North Bergen had space for 220 railcars along the NYS&W main just North of Paterson Plank Road behind the businesses on West Side Avenue. We did mostly plastic resins; pellets & powdered.

#65711  by trainfreak

It is very interesting to see what happens to the railroads customers. There really seems to be a lot of mergers going on with them making for an ever changing enviroment in the customer base.

#65891  by riffian

Is this local the same one that works the Bergen County Line side? I have seen this job, also during midday, and it was much shorter, with a unit on each end.

#65899  by sullivan1985

riffian wrote:Is this local the same one that works the Bergen County Line side? I have seen this job, also during midday, and it was much shorter, with a unit on each end.
Yes, it makes its way to Suffern, and dropps hoppers off there. Then it goes down as far as Omega Pladtics in Lyndhurst on the Main Line, and the returns to Suffern with whatever cars it picked up along the Main Line and to pick up more cars in Suffern. It makes its way back down to Croxton via the Bergen Line later in the evening.

I think this is the train also picks up cars at the NYGL siding in Garfeild. Not sure, but I have seen NYGL boxes on it now and then.