Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk, Nebraska

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#231394  by dhaugh

Folks,

I went way out of my way to see the Nebraska Central operation in Norfolk, NE. I knew there was a huge Nucor Steel plant, among others there, but what surprised me was that there were dozens of ARMN reefers spread throughout town, spaced out in most cases (not coupled), but no sign of any reefer customers there. Tyson has a plant in town, but no spur anymore, and it didn't look like these would be loaded where they were.

Second, Norfolk has what appears to be remnants of an east/west line that is used in part. What might have this been at one time? Thx.
 #255853  by cnw6922

dhaugh wrote:Folks,

I went way out of my way to see the Nebraska Central operation in Norfolk, NE. I knew there was a huge Nucor Steel plant, among others there, but what surprised me was that there were dozens of ARMN reefers spread throughout town, spaced out in most cases (not coupled), but no sign of any reefer customers there. Tyson has a plant in town, but no spur anymore, and it didn't look like these would be loaded where they were.

Second, Norfolk has what appears to be remnants of an east/west line that is used in part. What might have this been at one time? Thx.
The east west line was the old CNW Fremont to Chadron line (the coyboy ) that was abandoned in the early 80's. The Nucor plant is on the old CStPM&O Sioux City Ia - Norfolk NE branch. This line was abandoned in the 75-78 range. The UP (now Nebraska Central) come into Norfolk from the south. The ARMN cars maybe getting loaded with cheese or beef. There used to be a chesse processor up near Randolph (I haven't been home in 20 years so I'm not sure what is left up there)