Railroad Forums 

• nolonger posting

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#45063  by fglk

It has come to my attention that I am on the top 10 poop list with in a small crowed of people who shall remain nameless. To Thows who know whats going on I am makeing this public to everyone: I am Vary Sorry for any harm and missguideing thoughts & opinions expressed by me and to anyone who has been ofended...

I will hear by follow the advice to keep my peace and stay away from this site and no longer make any postings here. I have know seen how unwelcome I have made my self here.. and am unregistering my self for good.

#45131  by trainfreak

I dont knw you much but sorry to see you go this is a good site and i think its pretty dumb how some people act. Once again sorry to see you go.

#45138  by uticajack

It's too bad that fglk is no longer welcome at this site. Will those of you who voiced displeasure please step forward so that we can personally thank you. While his verbage and grammar was not exactly scholar, I think he was entitled to his opinion.

#45143  by SRS125

Hi I'm E.K. My outher half is a nice guy once you get to know him. Someone here on this site got his name and address and reported him to one of the local railroads in the area about something seaid months ago. They called the house today asked if he was around and wanted to know if he could show up to the yard office.
The train master there went off on him for well over an hour.
Over a some info that was suposedley missinforming? I don't know the details and don't rilly care. What ever the matter It sounded vary harsh and stern from what I was told. They let him go and adviced him to stop posting things becouse they would be watching.
I think it was quite uncalled for to get someone to drive a 90 minuet round trip to see them and get held up for anouther hours worth of yelling!! Needless to say we disconected the phone service as well.
Last edited by SRS125 on Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#45201  by Terminal Proceed

I think you should edit your post. That language is totally uncalled for. There are children who read these forums.

#45212  by trainfreak

Yeah as a 16 year old sometimes i even find myself more mature then some older middle aged railfans and quite frankly i think its pretty sad.

#45247  by The Man

OK, even I got on fglk about one or two things. And I also agree that this is uncalled for. He does get the right to voice his view (even if it does piss some folks off) but that is HIS right. We had wars so we could piss and moan all we want. We also fight to keep the right to voice our view whenever and how ever we want. I wish I knew who decided to blow him in. If we did THAT is the one who should leave the site. As for his grammar, my post would look funny if I did not use spell checker. And I KNOW I am not the only one. We all have our down falls and he did have the balls to own up to it like a man. If you ask me he should not have to leave the site and the railroad that made the call (even if the one I do work for) should shut up and stop trying to play little Hitler of the Internet. I do wish fglk would sign up under another name and let us all know what line it is so we know how likes to play dirty pool. Now for US! We should all go back and look at all the nasty post direct at fglk. I did, and I felt like a jerk. I don't know about you but I don't like the idea that someone may have left the site because of ME! And after looking at some of the threads a lot of US did direct some nasty words his way. Like it or not that's how it is! I get the feeling that the railroad xxxx is talking about is FGLK. From what I remember, he lives in the CNY area and it is about 90 min or so to Geneva from SYR. But, it also is about the same to Cooperstown. So your guess is as good as mine.

JJ

#45282  by Schooltrain

I'm not a railroad employee or retiree, probably putting me in the minority among writers on this site. I just love railroads, and have ever since I was a kid. That having been said, I have noticed a certain level of condescension among some writers that seems uncalled for on a bulletin board site that supposedly has a common bond: the love of railroads. This bulletin board's focus, New York State railroads, should be enough to unite all of us in that bond.

The writer known as "fglk" has expressed some views that may be regarded as harsh by some. On one occasion, that I know of, he may have crossed the line into the realm of slander. However, we have laws that deal with such situations. It is not up to the other writers on this site to harass any writer. It is certainly not up to an official of a railroad to intimidate or otherwise threaten someone because of a posting on a bulletin board. Again, if the posting is slanderous, then there are legal measures to be taken. Anything else is extra-legal and just plain wrong. God knows that the railroads all spend enough money on lawyers, if they really and truly feel they have been wronged.

If we allowed any one individual's right to express himself, within the limits of the law, to be taken away yesterday just because we disagreed with him, then we are at risk of becoming that individual today. The greatest threat to our liberties as a free citizenry is ourselves.

Let us all resolve now to keep this railroad bulletin board an open site where the free discourse of ideas can occur, where questions can be raised, where opinions can be voiced and where our common bond can bring us together as one.

Thanks for letting me share.

#45308  by charlie6017

FGLK,
You should'nt go. There are many of us who appreciate your input. Also, if you are only stating opinion, that's constitutionally allowed. Myself, I have'nt seen any posts from you that I would deem *questionable* as far as letting stand in any of my forums. Stick around..........

#45342  by WANF-11--->Chaser

Terminal Proceed wrote:I think you should edit your post. That language is totally uncalled for. There are children who read these forums.
I think any children reading any forum or anything on the internet should have parental supervision or be old enough not to be affected by what they read on the internet.

Anyway,

I was thumbing through fglk's postings. The only conflict I can find is with people on the Auburn 7/8 Derailment. Unless the said post/thread was deleted, I dont see anything else.

It's pretty weak to let things get so personal that things spill out into the real world although nobody except the involved parties know the truth.

Then again I think if you are an "insider" to the industry, this shows that prudence and caution should be used in postings, you never know who's reading. The proverbial "chest pounding" at times on these boards is not worth losing your job.

#45363  by SRS125

If you knew who FGLK was and the current state he was in I think most of these people would think twice about there freedom. He spent part of his life in Russia with relitives for about 7 years befor comeing back here just after the Soviet Union crashed. So Things are not as normal as most would think it to be moveing from one country to anouther and back. He recalls the events and things that anyone of us free speekers would have been shot for.
He recalled A group of people protesting once. They protested the local Government about the right to speek out and wanting a normal life of freedom. Local KGB or NKVD officers round them up and these people were never seen or heard from again. Thats the kind of freedom of speech he saw. To recall such a thing that has been deepley hidden in the minds eye of someone who was just 10 years old at the time can crush anyone.

#45386  by roadster

FGLK,
I also enjoy seeing other posts. Wether direct knowledge or a passing observations. This forum is how I hear about other happenings around my area. God forbid if I misspell or conjecture an assumption. I post info. I have knowledge of though my own experiences, observations, and increasingly strained memories. I will correct posted info. if I have direct knowledge of the item or circumstance. I goal is only to forward correct info.. Not to insult or otherwise detrack from anothers postings. FLGK's posting were of a general area which hasn't gotten much coverage and I truely enjoyed his updates. As far as a poop list, 10 or so may have taken some sort of exception. There are alot more who value everyones input. FGLK, don't fret the few, entertain the majority, stick around.
XXXX
You seem to know him personally, let him know how the rest of us feel.

#45394  by SRS125

I will let him know I'm sure he'll be suprised to here that there are a few out there that still find an intrest in his tid bits of misc info. I made a few posting for him on the CSX form. He did one him self under my name in the N Scale form last nite. He'll still be selling photos on occation on line for anyone looking for oddball road names and diffrent locomotives. You will know if he has posted he'll end his siteing or small bit of info with just (fg).

#45456  by nessman

The fact that we now know he's from Russia explains his spelling/grammar and differerent perspective. I say we give the guy a break.

#45506  by Aji-tater

OK, just to state the obvious: you don't have to read very many of xxxx's posts to see the same lack of spelling mastery. Since xxxx started posting about the time FGLK had problems, it is obvious they are one and the same.

As for the incident with an actual railroad, I have no idea what that was all about but I'm taking a guess it had to do with his reporting on the FGLK derailment at Auburn and the damages involved. Again I'm guessing, but maybe somebody at the railroad told him something at the time and then got PO's when it was posted. If that is the right problem, the problem works both ways. First, the railroad should not disclose something they don't want made public. All businesses keep some things internal for various reasons. Here you've got some unhappy publicity about a wreck and likely the RR feels the less said the better. Somebody tries to be friendly and gives some information, it winds up on the internet, and next thing heads are rolling. Whether you or I think there's any harm in disclosing costs and things like that, it's the railroad's call on if they want folks to know.

The other side of the matter is; and again I am speculating on the incident above; while "FGLK" may not have done anything wrong or illegal we all need to be careful what we pass along. If the incident played out as speculated, obviously folks from that railroad are going to be much less trusting and welcoming of railfans. "Don't tell them anything or it will be all over the country". Over-reacting? Maybe, but again not illegal and we all will pay the price. Ever encounter a crew who won't give you the time of day? Maybe, just maybe, they got their necks in a noose about giving out information the company thought they should not have.

Nobody can prevent you from reporting what you saw - if the ABC railroad had 3 engines and 25 cars at 2PM, and you saw it cross main street, that's fine to report. But if you happen to be talking to Sir Toppam Hatt and he says Thomas's new coaches will cost a certain amount, maybe you'd better ask if that's public knowledge and OK to post.

As for the grammar, I found "FGLK"'s posts difficult to read but usually not too far off factually, with a couple exceptions. Somebody should do him a favor and show him how to use a spell-check if there is some way it can be done while posting. Otto - can you add such a feature here? As long as someone is reporting general information, without bashing or profanity, that should be welcomed on these pages. And I'm sincere, not Aji-tating in this instance ;-)