Railroad Forums 

• NJT Police Watch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#102444  by Lackawanna484

Customers continue to shoot it out on NJ Transit buses. The count this week is two dead, one injured. Maybe it's time to switch a few officers from railfan hunting to protecting passengers?

In Trenton on Wednesday, a dispute became violent and led to gunfire. One dead, one injured. Police are investigating.

In Newark on Thursday, a dispute among two men led to violence on a fully loaded #62 bus at about 3 pm. The 52 passengers and the gunman fled the bus. By the time (city) police arrived, only the driver and the dead man remained. Police are seeking witnesses and the gunman.

#102452  by Don31

It gets curiouser and curiouser.....

If I took out my camera on the platform of Newark Penn, 6 cops would appear almost instantly, yet what Lackawanna484 writes about is becoming an almost weekly event.

I don't understand where NJT's priorities are.

#102608  by Ken W2KB

A co-worker of mine was robbed in a mugging at the Newark Subway station (Franklin Ave?) where you transfer to the 74 (?) bus to Nutley, last week. Hit in the head and money taken from pocketbook, fortunately not a serious injury. Took place on a weekday about 4:15 in the afternoon, just as she got off of the car.

#102651  by Don31

Just heard on the scanner that an NJT bus driver was mugged into unconciousness on Foundry Street in Newark. But I bet all the train platforms were safe from those dangerous railfans!!!!

#102655  by nick11a

Ken W2KB wrote:A co-worker of mine was robbed in a mugging at the Newark Subway station (Franklin Ave?) where you transfer to the 74 (?) bus to Nutley, last week. Hit in the head and money taken from pocketbook, fortunately not a serious injury. Took place on a weekday about 4:15 in the afternoon, just as she got off of the car.
I had a friend in Janurary in broad day light get mugged at Broad and Raymond (on a weekend though.)

#102700  by Lackawanna484

I wonder if the NJT Board of Directors know or care about the lawless climate their front line employees face?

Even something as basic as sending a cop up the Newark City Subway, onto one of the local buses, cross over, take another bus, etc would be a lot of visibility. Or riding the local bus in Plainfield (shudder) or the 94 Crosstown in Orange. Be visible, show the badge.

Back when they had a lot of purse snatchings on the buses in Newark and Bloomfield, NJT cops would board buses, inspect the passengers, hop off, get on the next one, etc. A little more difficult than chasing railfans with cameras, though.
Last edited by Lackawanna484 on Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#102771  by njtmnrrbuff

Well,
I guess Bober and the crew are going after the real people. I am sorry about that murder. Yes, there are some routes where you have to be very careful, especially the 94 in parts of the Oranges, Bloomfield, and definately irvington. Irvington, overall is not a place where you want to be. Elizabeth and Linden can be crazy places at time.