Railroad Forums 

• NJT Photo Permit

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#164270  by PhotographerAP

Quick question, how do you go about getting a NJT photo permit?
 #164475  by Don31

PhotographerAP wrote:Quick question, how do you go about getting a NJT photo permit?
Go to NJT HQ in Newark (adjacent to Penn Station). Tell the receptionist in the lobby your reason for visiting and someone will come down to get you. Takes about 20 minutes. Remember to bring a photo ID with you.
 #164518  by njt4172

Don31 wrote:
PhotographerAP wrote:Quick question, how do you go about getting a NJT photo permit?
Go to NJT HQ in Newark (adjacent to Penn Station). Tell the receptionist in the lobby your reason for visiting and someone will come down to get you. Takes about 20 minutes. Remember to bring a photo ID with you.
I will be going there to do this when I can ride free with student ID during the week of September 13-18th....

Steve
 #164684  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:
Don31 wrote:
I will be going there to do this when I can ride free with student ID during the week of September 13-18th....

Steve
I'll probably do mine Friday. I have expect as soon as I walk in the door a giant metallic blast door drops from the ceiling blocking the entrance and I giant net falls from the ceiling pinning me down..... :-)
 #164749  by njt4172

nick11a wrote:
njt4172 wrote:
Don31 wrote:

Steve
I'll probably do mine Friday. I have expect as soon as I walk in the door a giant metallic blast door drops from the ceiling blocking the entrance and I giant net falls from the ceiling pinning me down..... :-)

Nick,

Either that or Bober's forces with jelly donut in hand will handcuff you on site.... :wink:
 #164896  by sullivan1985

nick11a wrote:I'll probably do mine Friday. I have expect as soon as I walk in the door a giant metallic blast door drops from the ceiling blocking the entrance and I giant net falls from the ceiling pinning me down..... :-)
Don't forget the armed team of security with enough equipment to rival a local S.W.A.T. team with patches on their shoulder with a camera with a red stripe over it.

#164936  by NorfolkSouthernSean

All they have is cameras and a few security guards. Nothing special. They don't even have metal detectors. Who would want to do anything to NJT's corporate offices besides a disgruntled employee, or maybe a passenger who has had to stand from NPS all the way to Hamilton.

#170165  by njtmnrrbuff

This Friday, I plan to get the permit. I'm assuming transit's headquarters is across from where the main transit bus terminal is.

#170191  by Lackawanna484

Exit Newark Penn via the Raymond Concourse East doors below Track A, and the NJT corporate office is the first large glass building on your left, across the parking lot, fronting on Raymond Boulevard with the river just beyond it.

If you're facing the Hilton Hotel, walk back into the station, and out the other side.

#170196  by pgengler

Hope you have better luck than I did. In spite of my feelings about the permit, I figured I'd try and get one to avoid the hassle. I went over to HQ around 11am (this was on Fri. Sept. 16) and was told to come back after 1pm since the person who did them wasn't there/available. So after hanging around Newark Penn for two hours (strolling up and down the track 3/4 platform) I went back, sat there waiting for another hour, and was ultimately told that the machine was broken. Since that was the only chance I had to stop by there during the week (on a non-holiday), I'm just going to continue taking photos whenever and whereever I feel like it. It's worked pretty well for me so far.

#170284  by njtmnrrbuff

I hope that doesn't happen to me. In fact, if I am very busy on Friday, I might not get to make it there. While I find the new permit better, I still think it is time to move on with out lives. I know platforms are transit property but we shouldn't have to call. Suppose you change your plans. I say get the permit and if police or transit employees asks you for it, show it or some sort of i.d. I will be heading to Perth Amboy very soon and I am going by train. I will probably have my camera or I might not. When I fanned transit this summer a lot in July, I didn't have any trouble on the platforms. On the trains, shortly after the London bombing, I was riding the Coastline to Bay Head. On approach to Red Bank, I am asked to put the camera away by a conductor.

#170337  by njt4172

pgengler wrote:Hope you have better luck than I did. In spite of my feelings about the permit, I figured I'd try and get one to avoid the hassle. I went over to HQ around 11am (this was on Fri. Sept. 16) and was told to come back after 1pm since the person who did them wasn't there/available. So after hanging around Newark Penn for two hours (strolling up and down the track 3/4 platform) I went back, sat there waiting for another hour, and was ultimately told that the machine was broken. Since that was the only chance I had to stop by there during the week (on a non-holiday), I'm just going to continue taking photos whenever and whereever I feel like it. It's worked pretty well for me so far.
LOL, you were told the machine was broken too huh?"? A bunch of BS if you ask me!!!! When I went in April the Machine was broken then too!!....I guess they had 6 or 7 months to fix the machine to have it fail again.....Seems suspicious!

Steve

#170427  by Steve F45

I used to work for the ntpd and got emails showing new permit apps and there photo's. if they said the machine is broke its BS. i would get new emails everyday.

Also the only people who call the cops are the conductors but thats only cause they have to. They are told to call no matter what. But i'll tell you this since the orange alert was dropped we had seen a large drop in calls for people taking pictures near platforms/stations/trains. If you were spotted by a train, the chances of getting caught are low since the officer has to be dispatched and get to the location. Plus they'll just tell you to put it away. I've never seen anyone get arrested withtout a permit.

I mean before i started working at ntpd i was standing on ridgewoods platform with tripod and camera and a transit cop walked right be me said hi, how are you and that was it. And this was the same day of the bombings in london.

#170526  by nick11a

^Wow, that just shows the wide range of responses one can get from photographing trains.

#170803  by Steve F45

nick i think it's all in who responds to the call of a photographer. Some know what your doing and its not terrorism, others might think your a threat. Some guys just take the job way to serious.