Railroad Forums 

• NJT July 2015 Strike?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1341569  by DutchRailnut

On railroad you never work without contract , once contract technically expired, negotiations start but old contract is 100% in effect till all steps of railway labor act are played out.
at that time self help is possible , not only by union(strike) but also by railroad(lockout), keep in mind that you never really want this, as it stops your benefits too.
and your fellow employees might need that medial for wife and kids.
 #1341575  by JPG76

Yes, everyone is working under long expired contracts not without contracts.
I didn't say a strike is a good thing or that I wanted one.
 #1341584  by philipmartin

DutchRailnut wrote:On railroad you never work without contract , once contract technically expired, negotiations start but old contract is 100% in effect till all steps of railway labor act are played out.
That's right. I put in the previous comment about us now being "non-agreement" as an attempt at humor.
 #1341589  by F40

philipmartin wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
That is far from the truth....look at their counterparts at Amtrak, Metro-North and even Septa. They all make more then NJT train crews.
What do train and enginemen make on NJT, $100,000.00 a year? I make $55,000.00, (I'd make more if I took overtime, but I refuse it.)
Somebody said that eginemen on the IC-CNR make $48.00 an hour. I used to work with a guy at Hunter tower, who later went to the PATH as a conductor. He was retirement age, but said the money there was too good to walk away from.
I believe (as is common with many jobs) the pay can vary based on amount of experience for one. An engineer who is 10 years senior should be making more than an one who is fresh out of school. Given the numbers, I concur that NJT engineers can fight for more. $48 I imagine would be for one approaching the top of his tenure in the industry. That being said, if you take just the number itself ($32 for NJT and so on, plus pass privileges) however, this is really good from a career perspective as a whole. There are building engineers in NY who make $25 an hour and many other college grads who do not make as much. Again, NJT can fight for more given the industry, but one cannot bring to the table an argument regarding the wages of a sanitation worker, as someone in the LI forum was doing in the past.
 #1341899  by AmTransit

F40 wrote:I believe (as is common with many jobs) the pay can vary based on amount of experience for one. An engineer who is 10 years senior should be making more than an one who is fresh out of school. Given the numbers, I concur that NJT engineers can fight for more. $48 I imagine would be for one approaching the top of his tenure in the industry.
Enginemen here at NJTRO all make the same hourly rate whether fresh out of Choo-Choo-U or over 30 years seniority. There is no step rate here as there is at Amtrak, SEPTA, etc. Once "promoted" you go right to 100%.
 #1342277  by F40

AmTransit wrote:
F40 wrote:I believe (as is common with many jobs) the pay can vary based on amount of experience for one. An engineer who is 10 years senior should be making more than an one who is fresh out of school. Given the numbers, I concur that NJT engineers can fight for more. $48 I imagine would be for one approaching the top of his tenure in the industry.
Enginemen here at NJTRO all make the same hourly rate whether fresh out of Choo-Choo-U or over 30 years seniority. There is no step rate here as there is at Amtrak, SEPTA, etc. Once "promoted" you go right to 100%.
That must be good for the new guys.

Though in a different segment, I have a feeling that bus operators' pay might have some kind of step rate. I applied and was offered one cent above my job in college. but did not take it. It seems pretty hard being available "full time" for a part time gig, though hopefully you can "move up" to a regular schedule soon.
 #1342285  by philipmartin

I sold tickets at Morristown for sixteen years and in those days it was one of the few ticket jobs that paid substantially more that other stations. That was because at one time the agent there performed more duties than agents at most other ticket offices, and although the former duties had gone, the rate remained. That ended for that station when I left. But at that time, a friend connected with bus operations, told me that I made much more that a bus driver.
Of course, even the pay of a high paid ticket agent can't compare with that of someone in train service, account of the overtime that is part of the job.