Railroad Forums 

• NJ Transit Tracks at Croxton Yard?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1308963  by pumpers

train2 wrote: One problem to getting a grasp on this is you can buy a book on each railraod that may or may not address everything, but what I need is a map of everything today with what it was originally.
Here's what a lot of railfans use -- maps of all the historical lines, and their current status/company. Lots of detail, with close-ups in crowded areas, etc, like northeast NJ. Made by a British company surprising enough. I highly recommend them. THey are into at least their 3rd edition. http://www.steam-powered-video.co.uk/at ... rica.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; About $35 for the "Northeast", which includes NY, NJ, PA and a few other states.
JS
 #1310121  by pdtrains

I used to work at croxton yard during the EL days. First, a lot changed when the Erie passenger trains started going to HOB, late 1950's.
and with the advent of secaucus jct and the montclair connection, a lot of what was done in the late 50's/ early 1960's was torn out, plus there was the total realignment of Marion Jct so that trains cud go from the PRR meadows yard area directly to north bergen, and part of the old PRR east of waldo, and the NYC up to weehauken could be torn out for the HOB light rail to Tonelle ave .

So a lot has changed. As for what I think is your question...how did erie trains get from HX to HOB...just east of HX, where the NJT tracks take a hard right turn (going east), there used to be double track that ran south, southwest of and almost parallel to .croxton yard. (Note, croxton was over twice the size that at is now). Anyway, these 2 tracks joined the EL "Main Line" (which was originally the DLW boonton line to patterson) at "Bergen Jct" which was about a half mile west of West End tower. So the passenger trains from the BC line went HX, Bergen Jct, West End, and then into HOB.

If your asking about the older Erie days, the old erie main line joined the BC line at rutherford. There were 4 tracks from rutherford to HX, then the main rain thru the middle of croxton yard down to "Croxton Jct" (where the Northern and greenwood lake tracks came in) and then thru the archways to the erie Pavonia terminal in Jersey City.

The abandoned track the runs under the turnpike and almost due west, south of the big rocks along the turnpike, is the old Erie Greenwood lake branch. The permamntly open swing bridge west of the turnpike was DB draw. West of the drw was DB jct, where the Erie Newark branch went off to the south. To the Est of DB draw, the line split into 3 tracks....1 went to west end for passenger trains going to HOB. One went to Croxton Jct, and originally joined the ML there to go to JC via the archways. and the third track (Called the "third track by EL people) curved to join croxton yard going westbound.

Don;t know if this answers any questions, or u can ask away. If you give me your address, I can draw u track diagrams when I have time. North Jersey has always been a huge mess of tracks...today a huge mess of abandoned ROW's. Took me a while to figure everything out. SO much has been changed in the croxton area over the last 60 years, its hard to find original alignments for some tracks.