Railroad Forums 

• NH timetables: The Cranberry / The Cape Codder

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #193635  by Horst

Hi folks,

I wonder if someone has timetables of The Cranberry and/or The Cape Codder, perhaps even of The Neptune. I am interested in Cape Cod operations, especially in times when they still were serving Provincetown.

It would be great if someone could post a link or a source that provides appropriate information.

Thanks to all

Horst from Essen
 #193898  by Noel Weaver

Provincetown passenger service ended in the late 1930's. Bus connections
to Provincetown were provided after that time.
The "Cranberry" ran between Boston and the Cape (Hyannis and Woods
Hole until the big Old Colony termination in 1959.
The Cape Codder had two different trains:
1. The Day Cape Codder was as the name implies, a day train in each
direction between New York (GCT) and Hyannis and Woods Hole while the
Night Cape Codder was a week end train (Friday to the Cape, Sunday from the Cape) between New York and Hyannis and Woods Hole.
Send me a private message on here with your e mail address and I will
send you pages of a timetable showing this service in the mid 1950's.
Noel Weaver

#209181  by Clean Cab

You can buy New Haven RR public timetables on ebay. The ones you'd need are from 1949 to 1964. The Cape Codder, The Neputne, The Junior Neptune and The Night Cape Codder all ran from GCT to Hyannis, except for the "Junior Neptune" which was a Budd Car from Hyannis to Boston which only ran for 2 years.

#209269  by Horst

Hi, capecodlocoguy,

thanks a lot! I've never thought about e-bay, but I've just found a few interesting items. Hope the sellers will ship to Europe.

Regards,

Horst
 #212523  by eddiebear

The Junior Neptune was a Providence-Hyannis RDC. It ran from the end of each season, when conventional trains were withdrawn until the start of the next season when conventional trains commenced again. By the early 1950s, the New Haven had compressed the off-season from about mid-September to the end of May. The Junior Neptune ran Fridays out of Providence connecting from the Merchants Limited which would have it out of there about 8:20 or 8:30 pm. Return was on Sunday connecting either to the Merchants or William Penn. RDC equipment was used and it ran from probably 1953 to about 1957. The Friday trip was quite late so it did not connect to the island boats but the Sunday trip sometimes had an island connection.
 #1256076  by BenH

Horst wrote: I wonder if someone has timetables of The Cranberry and/or The Cape Codder, perhaps even of The Neptune. I am interested in Cape Cod operations, especially in times when they still were serving Provincetown.
Some of what you are looking for can be found on this web link:

Cape Cod Timetables - collection
http://www.scribd.com/collections/41266 ... Timetables

The posted collection of scanned timetables covers passenger service to/from Cape Cod over the years.
 #1256295  by Statkowski

The June 6, 1920 consist book shows three trains running Boston - Provincetown:

5029 (Daily)
1 steel Apartment Mail Boston - P'vincetown
1 steel Bag. and Express Boston - P'vincetown
1 steel Parlor Boston - P'vincetown
1 wood Smoker Boston - P'vincetown
1 wood Coach Boston - P'vincetown
1 wood Coach Boston - Chatham
1 wood Bag. and Smoker Boston - Chatham

5111 (Ex. Sun.)
1 wood Bag. and Express Boston - P'vincetown