Railroad Forums 

• News on the North Anson Quarry

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#172398  by bwparker1

Guilford eyes new safeguards

EMBDEN -- Guilford Rail System will include new environmental safeguards as it resubmits to the state its application for a rock-mining quarry near the Kennebec River, Town Manager B. Wendell Routon said Friday.

The full article can be read here:
http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/n ... 2444.shtml

(Note: original post edited by moderator; per the forum guidelines, if you wish to post a news article, please only post a summary and a link to the original article, rather than posting the entire article verbatim. Thanks! -MEC407)
 #174669  by trainsinmaine

Are there, or are there not, plans for Guilford to reopen the Somerset line all the way to the quarry? The initial impression that we in the area had was that this was going to be the case. It seems to me that it makes more sense for the railroad to ship its own ballast by rail from its own quarry than to truck it three miles to North Anson.

The latest rumor, which I heard the other day from a DOT worker, is that the Morgan Lumber Company in Bingham has expressed an interest in shipping its product by rail and would like to see Guilford extend the line to its former Bingham terminus. That's great news if it's true, but it sure will make a lot of snowmobilers and ATV riders unhappy.
 #175618  by trainsinmaine

I checked out the rumor about rebuilding the line all the way to Bingham. No truth to it. I'm still unsure, however, about whether Guilford plans to rebuild as far as the quarry.