Railroad Forums 

• News Item: Fostoria Gets a $800K Grant For Railfan Park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#442499  by rcbsd45

(The following report appeared on the Toledo Blade website on September 7.)

FOSTORIA, Ohio — Federal "transportation enhancement" funds will provide more than $800,000 toward converting an abandoned factory site in the city into a park where train enthusiasts may watch the 100 or more trains that traverse Fostoria on an average day, the Ohio Department of Transportation announced yesterday.

The $815,760 grant for the Fostoria Iron Triangle Visitors' Center represents the second-largest of 13 awards, exceeding $7.3 million statewide, that ODOT announced for the 2010-2011 budget cycle.

The announcement gives Fostoria a green light to plan for a viewing platform, restrooms, parking lots, and landscaping on the five-acre site bound primarily by three main railroad lines that pass through, and intersect in, the city, Mayor John Davoli said yesterday.

"We've been working on this for a long time," he said, crediting in particular the Hancock Regional Planning Commission for its assistance in preparing the grant application.

The city must provide 20 percent of the project's cost, or about $204,000 to match the entire grant.

Fostoria previously obtained, and has partially spent, a $300,000 federal grant to clean up old industrial sites and to pay for clearing the former factory site off Columbus Avenue. Mr. Davoli said the remains of the factory complex will be leveled by year's end.

While a nuisance for local residents, Fostoria's busy rail activity attracts train buffs from across North America and even overseas. Especially during the warmer months, many congregate in a parking lot near the city's former Amtrak station, or on a gravel area along Columbus Avenue near two of the rail lines' intersection.

Mr. Davoli said he plans to visit train-watching parks built in other railroad "hot spots" to gather ideas for Fostoria's facility.

#444755  by Redside20

i am against the park because it'll attract nothing but foamers and retards
and there will limited photo angles anyway. I haven't shot a photo in fotown in two years unless its something really cool
 #446419  by everettii2000

it will keep people off the tracks and a place to watch trains
 #446556  by Redside20

everettii2000 wrote:it will keep people off the tracks and a place to watch trains
WTF? It will keep people off the tracks? Have you ever been to Fostoria Everready? what on earth are you smoking? Have you been to Deshler? Berea? train tracks are like a magnet because they seem have no trouble attracting law abiding foamers, retards and large families who can never seem to keep both of their legs from between the rails. And um i think there seems to be several places already where we can watch trains

off my soapbox now

#454769  by videobruce

it'll attract nothing but foamers
"foamers"???

Listen, if you don't want the park, send the $800k over our way. We will find a good use for it. :wink:

#455354  by chessie8212

Redside...

The area already attracts people that crawl all over the tracks and people that fall in what you refer to as "foamers and retards". I agree that there are a number of people who break not only laws, but common sense rules in areas like Fostoria, but how is building this rail park going to make anything worse? Personally, I'll be glad to see it built. Maybe now the cops and railroad police can crack down on those that trespass since they have a place now that they should be instead of wandering around private property.

You're going to have idiots no matter where you go. Look at Vickers... I can't tell you how many times I've driven past there and seen morons out there standing on the diamonds and that isn't remotely CLOSE to public property. Or how about Nasby on the NS... again, not public property, no railfan park, still trespassing. So what negative impact is it REALLY going to make in Fostoria?

I also think that these kinds of people are a bad influence on railfanning, but people with an attitude like yours aren't having a positive impact either. If you haven't been to Fostoria in a long time and don't go there anymore, how does it affect/bother you in any way? I totally disagree with so called railfans that act like morons and they often ruin it for the well-minded people that obey laws and just stay out of the way. But why should those that behave be punished with no place to sit and watch?

Photo angles don't apply to everyone either. I know several railfans that don't look for photos when they go out, they just want to watch. The people that want to crawl over the tracks and trespass are going to do it no matter what type of public facility is available. Like I said above, I am hoping that with this type of public park, they can start nailing down the jackasses that break the law since they now have a completely public and legal alternative.

#536211  by Rick Rowlands

When I go to railfanning spots like Deshler I would go hoping to meet fellow railfans. I don't got to take pictures but to BS and socialize with people who share my interests.

I think that is an aspect of railfanning that is ignored by the photo foamers.
 #559026  by A.W.Gonya

When the park is done it's going to be a great thing. I was working around the future visitors center building today. And watching trains on the Old C&O. Remember, Rome was not built in a day, but we are working towards the goal.

Aaron W. Gonya
President F.R.P.S.