Railroad Forums 

• New York State Railroad Map!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#837267  by erie2521

On an earlier post on this thread, I mentioned that most of the track between Hemlock Lake and the junction with the spur into Hemlock was still in place as late as 1940. Some of it had trees growing out of it. I can't imagine that it's still there. Does anyone know when the trackage was removed? Ted
 #837313  by TB Diamond

Reference a 1901 map, the open air station near Hemlock Lake and the tracks serving it had already been removed.

This was the result of the LVRR loosing in a court action dealing with lake rights circa 1900.

The LVRR had plans to create a lakeside resort on the shore of Hemlock Lake but these plans came to naught account the negative legal action.
 #838869  by erie2521

Yes, that is correct. The open air depot and surrounding tracks were taken up fairly soon but much of the trackage between there and the junction for the Hemlock spur was still there in 1940 -for whatever reason. I remember walking the track as a kid. Ted
 #897460  by Otto Vondrak

nyswray wrote:Note: Most, if not all, previously picked nits have been addressed.

Woohoo! Map shows current extent of CMRR restored trackage from Phoenicia to Boiceville plus the Kingston segment! We'll be adding to that red line in the coming years for sure!

Still shows the NYSW Utica Branch intact and belonging to NYSW... That's a little odd.
 #897474  by RSD15

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Still shows the NYSW Utica Branch intact and belonging to NYSW... That's a little odd.
The map I'm looking at shows the NYS&W intact only from Utica south to Sangerfield.
That's odd since the line is intact at least as far south as Sherburne.

They map also has the exDL&W north of Fulton as intact and it hasn't seen a train in many more years than the Utica line.
 #897491  by JoeCollege

RSD15 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote: The map I'm looking at shows the NYS&W intact only from Utica south to Sangerfield.
That's odd since the line is intact at least as far south as Sherburne.
The map shows the line ending in Chenango county at Sherburne, but has mislabeled that town as Sangerfield.
 #897510  by checkthedoorlight

Wow....I was planning on following up my Connecticut Track Map with one for New York, but this is gonna be a bigger challenge than I realized! I'm as far north as Albany (Selkirk Yard is scaring me away from continuing on that portion), as far east as Montauk and as far west as Port Jervis, so there's A LOT of state to cover....

Some of these smaller railroads I'm gonna need help with, when I get to them (the first ones up probably being SMS and Batten Kill).
 #897534  by Otto Vondrak

JoeCollege wrote:The map shows the line ending in Chenango county at Sherburne, but has mislabeled that town as Sangerfield.
Got it, that confused me.
 #897538  by RSD15

JoeCollege wrote:
The map shows the line ending in Chenango county at Sherburne, but has mislabeled that town as Sangerfield.
Thanks Joe your correct I should have caught that.
 #897795  by nyswray

JoeCollege wrote:

Thanks Joe your correct I should have caught that.

Lot's of people missed that. Looking back, it was wrong on the 2010 map too!!!! A corrected map should be posted to DOT's web site by Monday afternoon.

Ray
 #897859  by tree68

Minor nit - On the pax inset Utica is listed but didn't get their dot....
 #898604  by SteelRail

I love this map!

Nice touch adding the abandoned "Binghamton & State Line" railroad right of way. I first noticed a line marked "abandoned railroad right of way" on a large topo map I was using while taking radio station measurements years ago. I thought it was an error on the topo, but when I saw the railroad on the 1895 railroad map of NY, I realized that there had been a railroad directly south of Binghamton at one time. It must not have been long lived, as the 1904 topo has no reference to it.

If you look at Google Earth and use the coordinates 42.0188199, -75.970073, the ROW is still fairly clear, and appears to be a logging trail now. I can't seen to find any other traces, however.

Does anyone have any history of the railroad? Was it ever completed all the way to Wyalusing, PA or did it only exist from Binghamton, NY to Silver Lake, PA?

Are there any other visible signs of the railroad today?
 #902744  by csxjs

Isnt the connection between spring valley and sufferen abandoned too? I think most of the track is still there but Ive never seen anything on it. Does NS or NJT use it anymore?