Railroad Forums 

• New York & Lake Erie Railroad (NY&LE) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1381729  by thebigham

^Great. they must be getting into the car storage business now.

I wonder how they moved them up the hill? Their S1 could not have taken very many up the hill at one time!
Last edited by thebigham on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1381757  by Matt Langworthy

The former Erie S1 has a tough time handling the 2+ % grade on Dayton Hill. NYLE employees have told me in the past that #308 can only take a couple cars up the hill at a time. Does anyone know if #1013 is running again?
 #1381877  by Matt Langworthy

IIRC, there's a derelict B&O S2 at Gowanda, probably a parts donor. I do know that NYLE won't run excursions with just 3 coaches up Dayton Hill using #308. Combined with the info from the NYLE employees who spoke to me, I don't think #308 handles the hill well. On the other hand, the FPAs are running again, so maybe they were used to put the cars in storage?
 #1382688  by BSOR Patarak

Here is the update on motive power on the NYLE.

308 - ex Erie S1 - has been the primary locomotive out of Gowanda since it was brought down from the Port Colborne operation.
1013 - ex NW C425 - block operational, awaiting wheel change out - stored in shop
6764, 6758 - ex CN/VIA FPA4 (various models) - both are operational, drained for winter storage generally (have been used on passenger trains and will be used on storage cars, now that warmer weather is upon us).
Falls Creek S2 (not owned by NYLE) Scrapped and all gone
9078 B&O S4 - from Tonawanda Coke, parts only - still in gowanda, there is another S2 from tonawanda coke, also parts and partially cut up
75 - S2 at Oil Creek and Titusville
85 - S2 at Oil Creek and Titusville
M420 - at Oil Creek and Titusville

As for the storage cars, the first batch was taken up the hill by S1 308. It can pull more than 2 up the hill. It hits it's maximum tractive effort at 5 mph (as the Alco S series were built to do). It tends to get very hot on that pull, and moving at 5 mph is a long trip up the hill. I can't remember for sure if it was 8 or 9 cars they took up on that first trip. The process is to take them to south dayton, run around them and shove them into storage south towards Cherry Creek. Symans Enterprises and NYLE employees have been out cutting brush on that section. The FPAs will pull more up, same process at south dayton. They will split the two engines and can do a push pull type move through town.
Last edited by BSOR Patarak on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1383320  by Otto Vondrak

https://www.facebook.com/NewYorkLakeErieRR/?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two trips from Gowanda to South Dayton - May 28. Ticket info coming soon, stay tuned!