Railroad Forums 

• New to Railroading...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#147349  by wmt

razor,

The recruiters (for lack of a better term) at these hiring sessions keep telling us that in a year you must train for and pass your engineer licence or you'll lose your job.

My question is, will you still be used as a conductor as well or will you always be an engineer then?
Also, you've been there about 2 yrs now have you had to get your engineer lic. ? But you're still get to work as a conductor, correct?

I was just courious if they told you the same thing and if you are now a lic. engineer?

For the record, friday the 22nd can't come soon enough for me either, I close my massage business at the end of the month and start yet another temp job today just to keep some money comming in, but these temp jobs are the pits. Oh well, pay your dues right ?

While I still have the floor, I'll ask this too, I try to keep in shape and work out at least three times a week. The holiday between may and june, I spent the weekend foolin around at picnics with a bunch of kids ya know just runnin, climbin, jumpin around then monday work out day, guess I over did it and ended up with back muscle spasms that led to sciatica pain. I started seeing my chiropractor right away, but ended up seeing my family doc. too for something for pain that would help me sleep, I just wasn't getting sleep with the pain. I'm not one to usually see the doc or to take anything for pain, even just asprin for headaches but this was bad.

Well, now if I get the offer I'll take the drug test and they'll have to know about that. I know it was all legal from the doc and all but will they frown on the whole back pain and taking pain meds.?
Crazy right a person can go for years healthy and fit and then the one time they want to impress people for something important, they have to admit to an injury and taking meds.
Any thoughts on that?
wmt

#147430  by Guest

The recruiters (for lack of a better term) at these hiring sessions keep telling us that in a year you must train for and pass your engineer licence or you'll lose your job.
It's possible that you could be sent to engine school after a year, but not likely. 4-5 years is more like it. It is possible that you will go to engine school, get qualified and then go back to conducting. That would be unusual though.

And yes, it is a mandatory promotion. If you don't pass engine school the first time, you get a second chance. If you don't make it the second time, you're fired.

The worst part of it is, that as a conductor of 4-5 years you will be holding down a regular job. When you start as a hog, you'll be at the bottom of the list in seniority again - so back to the extra board. The good part is you get about a $30K a year raise.

As far as the pain/drug thing...don't worry about it if it's just temporary. When you take the drug test, just tell them what drugs you're on and why. The NS medical department will review your health exam records and contact you if they have questions or need more info. They will prob want a letter from your MD explaining your problem and stating that you are okay to work.

Now this time, get the job - okay?

-r

#147475  by wmt

Oh I'm not taking pain meds. anymore that was just for about a week/week and half. Just to get through the real bad pain so I could sleep. I'm even back to my workouts and feelin' great!
So guess I won't worry about it then cause my health history is all good.
Now this time, get the job - okay?

Okay already, I'm workin' on it, I'm feeling good about it this time! :-D And I'm darn sure going to do the test the way you suggested.
See ya!

#150718  by wmt

I DID IT !!! :-D

I passed the tests, got the interview and was given a tentative job offer, I've even had and passed the physical.
All I have to do now is have my drug test and my criminal background check. They haven't been scheduled yet.

They did tell us it could be 4 to 6 weeks till we go to GA. and start our phase I training.

So hang in there Razor, I'm making progress, and I'll be more than happy to give you a few days off as soon as I can.

Hey, I guess there's a chance you could be training me since you're out of Harrisburg, is that right? I think I've read a post of yours that you've trained a few already.
That'd be great, I like your possitive attitude and willingness to help, thanks for all you've done already.

I'll keep you posted on my official start date for Phase I
Till then; be safe and get some rest.......

#150782  by Guest

<B>YEAH!</b> Three cheers for wmt..

<b>hip-hip hurray!</b>
<b>hip-hip hurray!</b>
<b>hip-hip hurray!</b>

-r :-D

#151237  by wmt

(CURTSY) Thanks Razor!!!!

:-D I'm just soooo jazzed, I can't wait to get started :-D

I'd better get back to studing those rules.
Till next time.....
wmt :-D

#151308  by Guest

wmt wrote: I'd better get back to studing those rules.
Nah, forget about NORAC, you won't have to deal with that for months. Most of it won't make sense anyhow. Phase I is 99% safety and getting you familiar with RR basics. No one fails academically. However, a few fail the "hanging equipment test " every class. You hang from a side ladder for 1.5 minutes with each hand (total 3 minutes) while giving signals with a lantern in your other hand. The hand signals you need to know are STOP, PROCEED, BACK, REDUCE SPEED (http://www.spikesys.com/Trains/handsig.html) Make sure you have a pair of leather gloves that fit you well! An old worn-in pair is best. If they are too big or new, your hand will slide around in the glove, it's hard to hold on. If you fail the test, you'll be sent home (no pressure!).

They put you in the cheapest hotel possible for Phase I, so expect the worse possible hotel. Other things you'll want to know:

1) Best place to eat is Ryans
2) Worst place to eat is Krystal
3) One exit north of McDonough is Wal-Mart (Ryans and some other food places are there too)
4) Each room in the hotel will have a fridge and microwave.
5) Stay out of the Double D
6) After your class on Saturday (you'll have Sunday off) get some friends together and go to Atlanta. (North to Peachtree Street, take a right, follow Peachtree to the Buckhead section of Atlanta--you're in Buckhead when you see the giant ugly green skyscraper) Do not miss Makos (3065 Peachtree Road). Repeat. Must go to Makos.
7) If you can catch a ride with someone, do it! You will both be paid for travel, so just split the cost of gas. Trust me on this one.
8) Yes, they are serious about the boot thing, make sure your boots meet the requirments.

Phase one is easy, have a good time!

-r

#151352  by chrisjz

If you can catch a ride with someone, do it! You will both be paid for travel, so just split the cost of gas. Trust me on this one.

As of my Phase I class they DO NOT pay for mileage if you car-pool. They only pay the driver the mileage. THEY WERE VERY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS! I'm down here for Phase III training in GA now. If you need more info, just let me know.[/b]

#151401  by Guest

chrisjz wrote:
As of my Phase I class they DO NOT pay for mileage if you car-pool. They only pay the driver the mileage. THEY WERE VERY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS! I'm down here for Phase III training in GA now. If you need more info, just let me know.[/b]
Yay, I know what they say, and I know what they do. That's why I said "trust me". No one is in the parking lot to see who rode with who, because nobody really cares. Take the bus, fly, rent a car whatever - they will pay you travel expenses. It is a flat rate based on RR miles, you do not need to turn in receipts. They won't ask you how you got to McDonough, and there is no reason to tell.

-r :wink:

#151403  by Guest

And how's it going chrisjz? Sick of working in the yard yet? Do you have 'ole Larry for phase III?

-r

Two to go, watch the move!

#151480  by wmt

hanging equipment test " every class. You hang from a side ladder for 1.5 minutes with each hand
I read about the hanging test some where else (maybe one of your posts) and so I've been practicing at the local playground hanging from the jungle gym. I'm up to 3.5 min. each hand and I recently started signaling with an ankle weight :wink: (I don't know what I'm doing I'm just swingin' the thing around). But I had heard it was 5 min. each hand. If it's only a 1.5 I will have no problem.
I'm sure you're right about the good leather gloves, and I will get a pair, I've just been using my lifting gloves, but I should have something with fingers.
As for the boots, I don't know anything about the boots I need, I'm guessing they'll tell me and you're letting me know I better listen, right?

Is Makos a restaurant?

Oh and I tried that spikes web page but no good for hand signals were else can I find them?

When do I need to change the knuckle? Is that Phase I or III?
I feel capable of the task but I've been lifting too just to make sure (wouldn't want to embarrass myself) was wondering how much time I had till I would change one in class.

Chrisjz, good luck to you in phase III
By the way, how many people in a class on average?

Thanks for being there, see ya :-D

#151487  by wmt

Oops,
My mistake I found the hand signals on spikes web site, I didn't use a capitol in the word train.
wmt

#153031  by chrisjz

Hey razor, things are going pretty good here. I just returned home from McDonough on Friday and I'm glad to be home! Phase III was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be and you were right not to sweat the NORAC signal test. I ended up scoring 100% on it as well as several other tests and was able to maintain a 98 average at the end and be in the top 2 of the class. Not too bad. Our class had Bob rayburn for an instructor and the other NORAC class had Larry. Bob is a great instructor, he had written and ammended quite a few NORAC rules in his day so he knew the manual pretty well.

I'm not tired of working the yard yet, as a matter of fact I really like it, but I'm sure at some point that will change. Right now though I would rather take a yard job over a road job.

A big congratulations to wmt! It's great you made it through! I was really excited when I hired too so I know how you feel. Like Razor says, phase I is a breeze, all about safety and basics nothing major. The hang test is really nothing to worry about either. Follow what Razor told you and you will do just fine. One thing that may make it easier for you is to remove the battery from your lantern before you take the test. I heard some guys did that and they said it helped. I didn't notice it being too heavy though since I left the battery in when I took it. You won't have to change the knuckle until about day 6 and then again in the dark using your lantern for light on day 7, but they will show you how to do it. It's no big deal either. All of the instructors are great and they will help you with whatever they can. There were 51 people including myslef in my phase I class but it was much smaller in phase III, only 29. The phase I classes this time around were just as big so it will probably be the same when you go down. I wish you the best of luck and let us know how you are doing.

Talk to you both later...

#153719  by CSX Conductor

razor wrote:Nah, forget about NORAC, you won't have to deal with that for months. Most of it won't make sense anyhow. -r
NORAC signals and rules make more sense than CSXT Operating Rules & Signals. :( Thank God they're still in effect on foreign lines around here.

#154755  by wmt

I met with the Norfolk Officer on Monday, he called me Friday and said there was something on my criminal record.
That really confused me, I don't have encounters with police, but he said he had no specifics. He only knew that there was something pending, no year of the event, no name I was using (I had been married before) and no details of what it was (a ticket, an arrest, ect.)
So now he said he'll try to get more information about it and get back to me.
I know it's not just as simple as not paying a speeding ticket because I've only had two and I paid both of them.

About two years ago, I designed my own name (after my divorce, I didn't want to take back my maiden name) and I legally changed it to this new name I designed.
When you do that you need to do lots of things, like fingerprints, search for outstanding deeds, and cirminal background.
Nothing showed up on my criminal record at that time and I know nothing has happened in the last two years, so how could this be?

Could the officer just be bluffing? Do they do that and why would he do that? It just seemed odd to me that he had no details of what he said was found on the background check. At fist I thought he was just trying to give me a chance to remember and come clean on my own. But when I said there was nothing, he said he didn't have any info. and would try to research it and get back to me. Is that odd?

If anyone has experienced anything similar, or if you know about the police background checks please help me understand.
Funny,I always thought I lived a quiet and unnoticable life (I've been a single working mother for 26 years) that they would have a hard time finding my existance and now they say something is pending. It's really very disturbing. This was the one thing about getting this job I thought I was sure of.
Well, I'd sure like to hear from anyone, the hardest part is the waiting....
Thanks !
wmt