Railroad Forums 

• new member seeking historical Baldwin info

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#160249  by holly kehler

Greetings all - I am a glass artist seeking to purchase a book which includes a photo of the early advertisement for the Baldwin Locomotive Works (Burnham, Parry, Williams, & Co, Philadelphia). I unfortunately
did not record the web page or the book's title or author, when I ran across this photo which I would like to do in glass, for a friend named Baldwin. Any help locating the specific book would be most appreciated
Thank you. Holly

#160412  by Allen Hazen

The bad news, Holly, is that there are LOTS of books about Baldwin. (Many of them, alas, not too good.) One-- if I can remember the author, I'll post another reply-- published in the 1970s (?) included a facsimile reprint of a corporate history from the 1920s, with some older illustrations.
I'll try to come up with a bit more and post later.
Meanwhile, if you are located in a city with a good model railroad hobby shop (if you're in New York, I'd recommend one on 45th street just west of 5th) that also sells railroad books, go, explain the problem to the proprietor, and throw yourself on his mercy.
 #160430  by holly kehler

thank you Allen for your prompt response:

I've searched some on Amazon.com + even visited a book store yesterday to no avail
google offers 50,000+ hits on Baldwin steam engines so I fear I'll never get back to that specific page to determine the right book + could kick myself for not printing the article or source- am hoping
to sandcarve the engine using photo resist -(apparently book originals yield better stencils than print outs from web pages)- to be a xmas gift, but there's always 2006 lol

cheers!

Holly Kehler
Glassics Custom Designs
Cecilton, MD
 #273090  by steamal

Holly, I know of at least one Baldwin locomotive: #4501. I know she was a Baldwin because I've ridden behind her before (twice) and the printed information that was distributed to passengers on the excursions said she was a Baldwin. During the age of steam, #4501 ( a Mikado made by Baldwin) was used by Southern Railway.