Railroad Forums 

• New Hyde Park

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #109958  by Ricshaw

I was standing on the platform yesterday at New Hyde Park. A NY&A train went through about 11.00. I didn't see the lead engine #, but the trailing unit was 155. Had about 5 boxcars and a lumber rack. The engineer gave me a nod as they passed through. Was this train the RS 50 or 60?

#109988  by tushykushy

That was probably the RS-30. They sometimes arrange their consist where they have an engine on the front and the back. Almost all of the time the RS-80/50/60 have 2 engines MU'ed together.

#121651  by Legio X

Has NYA serviced the customer in New Hyde Park lately?

#121796  by Jayjay1213

Not in many months, and hopefully it will stay that way.

Jason
 #731853  by RRChef

They don't receive shipments by rail anymore. Even if they wanted to they can't as the rails have been cut and blocked approximately 200 feet past the switch into the tank farm.
 #838024  by Teutobergerwald

There is a video on Youtube of LIRR Alco C420 #224 switching in New Hyde Park right by a grade crossing in February, 1985. It's a cool video, worth checking out. Is this the same spur where the bio-diesel customer is located?
 #839001  by tj48

Very neat video. Love the sound, the smoke of those C420s. Looked like there was a sense or urgency switching on the mainline the way that engineer was gunning the C420 around and the brakeman (or conductor) was jogging back and forth.
 #877028  by Teutobergerwald

Is the bio-diesel customer still viable? How often is it switched, and is it a day time or night time train that does the job? Thanks.
 #919292  by SlackControl

I noticed recently that the capacity was increased on the track closer to the main. The cross tie bumper block was moved east two cars, now allowing a total of six cars total on both tracks. Nice to see a customer start up, and gradually expand. He must be doing well if he's increasing his capacity from four cars to six.