Railroad Forums 

• New here, and also my new website

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#238010  by pennsy

Hi Ground Pounder,

Nice to have you aboard, but I never could understand why you would want to bail out of a perfectly good airplane. But then I am a dyed in the wool Flyboy and being ex-Air Force, highly prejudiced. Besides, I like those little red buttons on the "Stick".

#238058  by militaryguy

pennsy wrote:Hi Ground Pounder,

Nice to have you aboard, but I never could understand why you would want to bail out of a perfectly good airplane. But then I am a dyed in the wool Flyboy and being ex-Air Force, highly prejudiced. Besides, I like those little red buttons on the "Stick".

hahah...it's called a "rush" sir

#238093  by pennsy

Okay Militaryguy,

Back to RR'ing and combining that with flying, and photography.

Some time ago, I saw films of an aerial attack, during WWII, of French and German freight trains, trying to escape the Mustangs, the P-51's. Of course, that was an impossibility and the trains wound up getting strafed, rocketed and bombed. In the context of the films, it was stated while this was going on in Europe, the US trains were hauling immense loads across the country, and Steamers were shouldering the load. Their only threat was by sabotage.

Then you were shown a German freight steaming along and suddenly the Mustang opened up. First with six fifty calibre machine guns, half the rounds were incendiary, and then another Mustang came in after the train was stopped, and rocketed the closed cars. Some of the explosions were incredible, with pieces flying at the Mustang. Fantastic photography, and evidence of why such air to ground attacks were so extremely dangerous. We lost many planes and good men that way. However, it is amazing what those little red buttons could do in the hands of some of those good men.

#238105  by militaryguy

wow...that's amazing. would've been nice to see, of course from the air view, not the train hehehe