Railroad Forums 

• New Haven freight depot Lower East Side - NYC

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1065935  by chnhrr

I recently came upon a period article concerning the New Haven car float freight facilities on the lower East Side of Manhattan. I had always assumed that car float traffic left Harlem River and Oak Point only for destinations either in Brooklyn or the Jersey side of the Hudson River. Apparently the New Haven also transported freight by car floats to the lower East Side of New York.

The car float and freight facility on the Manhattan shoreline of the East River was built by the New Haven's predecessor in 1875 at Montgomery and South Streets. Prior to this construction, freight cars were pulled by horses from a designated location in Manhattan to downtown depots. The horse power became obsolete with increased traffic and heavier livery.

The original facility was designated Pier 50 but was revised to Pier 38, since over time pier designations changed along the East River due to decommissioning and overall expansion of the river’s docking slips. Another New Haven facility was constructed further south at Jefferson Street. Both the New York Central and the Lehigh Valley had smaller facilities in the vicinity. I’ll post a few photos starting with the overall plan (circa 1911) and the pictures of the dock expansion (Piers 39-41) between Montgomery Street and Gouverneur Slip.

Below is an excerpt from the mentioned article that gives further detail.

‘The car floats that are used between Harlem River and piers 45 and 50 in the local freight service vary from 180 to 231 feet in length and are 38 feet wide. They have a raised platform in the center with a canopy or roof. On each side of the platform is a track giving the floats a capacity of eight to twelve cars each. These floats when at piers 45 and 50 really act as a local freight yard afloat without switching facilities giving a yard capacity equivalent to 600 cars in the business part of the city. The cars being unloaded and reloaded by trucks by means of the platforms on the floats which run between the cars while the floats are tied at the piers’
Last edited by chnhrr on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1065943  by chnhrr

Dockside and front views of the expanded dock section. The old pictures from the 1940’s suffered damaged over time and it’s not snowing.
Last edited by chnhrr on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1066389  by CannaScrews

You should post this on the NHRHTA site, if you haven't already. The modelers would appreciate it.

I can see a small diorama a few feet away from the main layout - say in the kitchen or living room - just to be prototypical & give ammunition to rebut your significant other's arguments.
 #1066624  by chnhrr

Making a diorama was my thought as well. As for those wanting to place future rail based dioramas in their living room or kitchen, avoid this if you have teenagers. Here is an aerial view circa 1952. I assume the facility from the New Haven’s standpoint ceased operation just after the Second World War. I’ll post pictures of the old section of the docks next week.
 #1071447  by Ridgefielder

chnhrr wrote:Making a diorama was my thought as well. As for those wanting to place future rail based dioramas in their living room or kitchen, avoid this if you have teenagers. Here is an aerial view circa 1952. I assume the facility from the New Haven’s standpoint ceased operation just after the Second World War. I’ll post pictures of the old section of the docks next week.
The brick building with the rounded porches facing the river still stands, and allowed me to pinpoint the location. There is still a warehouse of some sort on the site, which to me (having seen it many times from the FDR) looks to be mid-1950's vintage. The slips are gone- not clear to me if the piers were demolished, or the slips were filled in and the bulkhead line brought out to the pierheads.
 #1071857  by chnhrr

The slips appear to have been filled in (See satellite view). After the New Haven ceased operations, the New York Department of Docks used the buildings and even a heliport was located here. Subsequently all the building were razed, the slips filled and new buildings erected. I can’t say what the current usage is for the two structures shown, but I believe the City has part ownership. The building (Target A in picture) you mentioned with the rounded porches is the former main ward of Gouverneur Hospital (1897-National Register of Historic Places). The porches or balconies were exterior solariums where convalescing patients could take in the fresh air and watch New Haven tugs maneuver car floats in and out of the slips. Not my idea of hospital....whatever.
 #1123001  by Tommy Meehan

Those are very interesting photos. Not a lot of research or documentation exists for East River rail facilities.

A 1914 list of railroad-owned piers on the East River (compiled by the bi-state Harbor Commission) shows the NYNH&H owned or occupied the following:

Pier 31 (Pike Slip) "No bulkhead platforms"
Pier 37 (Clinton St)
Pier 38 (Montgomery St)
Pier 39 (Montgomery St)
Pier 40 (Gouverneur Slip) "Busy terminal; inbound freight only"
Pier 41 (Gouverneur Slip) "Open pier"
Pier 42 (Gouverneur Slip)

A Port Authority map from 1943, twenty-nine years later, shows the New Haven-owned piers as Piers 38-42. They are noted for Less-Than-Carload (LCL) service.

I believe New Haven acquired at least some of those piers from earlier Long island-Block Island Sound steamship operators that the NH tookover. Up until the 1880s, overnight steamboat service between New York City and Boston remained very popular.
 #1132459  by chnhrr

Thanks Tommy

I missed your comments due to the Holidays. I wish there was more information on these New Haven piers as well.
There’s not a whole lot more on Oak Point and Harlem River for that matter.

Chuck