Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1424867  by Fritz

Hello,
I just wanted to report that I was told that the SLR westbound 393 delivered the GMTX MP15 329 to NHCR at North Stratford early this morning. Almost as early, the NHCR GP9 7324 brought the 329 and a tank car for Ryme's north to Shops. Please note that I did not see this occur but was told and shown photos by two people who did. By the time I got to North Stratford around 1300, I think that both locomotives were parked inside the shop building.
Best,
Fritz
 #1434395  by Fritz

Hello,
Yesterday, I spent time along the NHCR as I traveled over to Jefferson, NH for a site visit.

First, along the North Stratford line, GP9 7324 was being used to shove cars north for storage. I found them headed north towards Cones with five cars around 1000. They still had 7 more cars to pull from the SLR siding in North Stratford.

Something I had never realized before is that the 7324 appears to be set up with the long hood forward as the front. There is a "F" on that end of the frame and the engineer was operating from that side of the cab. Don't see that often anymore.

Second, after the 7324 headed north from Shops with their cars, a Harsco tamper pulled south from the Shops and was tamping the track between there and North Stratford. By the way, the track through there looks really good!

Finally, in Groveton, I noticed seven pieces of MOW equipment parked beside the old station. At first, I thought these might be being used to replace ties on the Groveton line, but then it occurred to me that the first half mile of so of track is actually owned by SLR, so maybe this equipment is staging for the big track project (welded rail, ties) planned for the SLR main across northern New Hampshire. Anyhow I didn't see any ties along the Groveton line between Groveton and Jefferson.

Unfortunately, I had to head back west to Vermont and wasn't able to follow the line all the way into Whitefield.
Have a great weekend,
Fritz
 #1435498  by bigfreight

The Maintenance crew was parked on the Sunday when we went to have breakfast. There was a line of hoppers with ballast in them on SLR line also on Sunday. Today GATX 329 came south this morning through Lancaster with a boxcar and returned north with 12 tankcars and the boxcar headed north towards Groveton.
 #1436075  by bigfreight

Busy day on the NHCR They came south thru Lancaster with GATX329 and one boxcar at 1250PM and returned north with 12 tankcars and one boxcar at 350PM . They just came south again thru Lancaster at 545PM headed towards Hazen with one boxcar.
 #1436155  by b&m 1566

When they spot cars for storage do they back the cars in from the diamond and do they pickup from the Hazen's end? And on the return trip how do they run around the spacer car and cars picked up from Presby?
 #1436233  by bigfreight

Tuesday was another busy day on the NHCR GATX329 came south with one boxcar and returned north at 1230PM with one boxcar and 12 tank cars. They came back south at 245PM with one boxcar and returned north at 605PM with 1 Boxcar and 18 tank cars . On Wednesday the came south thru Lancaster at 805AM with one boxcar and one covered hopper for Presby. At 1130AM they came back north with 1 boxcar and 12 tank cars. They store the cars south of crossing at Hazen and they do not cross the diamond in Whitefield NH at all. They cars are north of the diamond in Whitefield in storage. NHCR came south again thru Lancaster at 135PM with one boxcar.
 #1436272  by b&m 1566

They store the cars south of crossing at Hazen and they do not cross the diamond in Whitefield NH at all. They cars are north of the diamond in Whitefield in storage.
How do they get the cars onto the storage track when they arrive with the engine on the wrong end? And like wise if they are picking up spotted cars for Presby?
 #1436915  by Fritz

Hello,
This morning at 1145, I found the GMTX MP15 329 picking up six cars from the SLR siding in North Stratford. They headed north at 1215 to Shops, where they placed the six cars on the "west siding" and tied up by the shop building at 1245. That 329 is a sharp-looking locomotive, although I think it would look even better in the NHCR's signature yellow and black paint. By the way, the track looks great!
Have a good day,
Fritz