Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#57271  by metraRI

As of last Friday 9/24, three 8200's remained running RI's mid-day/weekend trains and 8563 was the newest of the 8500's on RI.
Last edited by metraRI on Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

#57374  by metraRI

8271 was replaced with 8564 over the last week. 8273 and 8265 are the only 8200's in a mid-day/weekend position.

#67898  by metraRI

All 8200's have now been replaced by 8500's on RI. RI has gotten up to 8570. I'm not sure if RI will get anymore, if not, 8500's should start heading to BNSF. It also looks like 8511, 8529, & 8530 are no longer on RI.

#67915  by bones

8529 is on the MILW. I ran it last week.

#67971  by MetraBNSF

It'll be a matter of time before 8500s start going to BNSF. Probably by the end of the year. One thing I've noticed is more 8400 control cars are being used on BNSF, but not necessarily all at once. Aside from 8475-8478 which appear to be shared between BNSF, HC, and SWS, I've seen 8469 and 8473 on BNSF trainsets.

#68013  by AmtrakFan

Have any of the BN cars been preserved yet? Also why can't the BN Cars run on any other line?

AmtrakFan

#68014  by AmtrakFan

Have any of the BN cars been preserved yet? Also why can't the BN Cars run on any other line?

AmtrakFan

#68039  by metraRI

AmtrakFan wrote:Have any of the BN cars been preserved yet? Also why can't the BN Cars run on any other line?

AmtrakFan
Some 700's have run on SWS from time to time. The BNSF cars have minor differences in electrical systems which make the cars incompatible with cars on other Metra lines, unless they recieve electrical modifications.

#68047  by AmtrakFan

metraRI wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:Have any of the BN cars been preserved yet? Also why can't the BN Cars run on any other line?

AmtrakFan
Some 700's have run on SWS from time to time. The BNSF cars have minor differences in electrical systems which make the cars incompatible with cars on other Metra lines, unless they recieve electrical modifications.
Thanks!!!!!!!! I thought it had to do with safety from that tragic 1947 Expedition Flyer accident headend collison I read somewhere.

Amtrakfan

#68128  by bones

The BN cars are compatable with everything system wide. They were rewired when the Winnebago's where new. Electricly they are the same as everything else. At one time they were not.

#68792  by bones

BTW, 8530 is at Western Ave. Haven't seen 8511.

#68820  by AmtrakFan

The 7200's are on the BN lately I was out there along it today early Dismissial.

AmtrakFan

#68993  by c604.

If anybody cares, yesterday was the highest numbered new coach I saw, they're up to at least 6123. It was closed but I rode 6122 right next to it. There's nothing like a new car smell, whether it be auto or railroad car :-D

#70262  by Scotty Burkhardt

these cars suck! every train looks the same now, i miss going up to the north end of union station and never knowing what the next train will have. now its all futureistic mono-looking fluted steel with big windows and a big silver void where the bathroom is, crap (if that made any sence)

I still say we do what VRE does, all the cabs are ADA with bathrooms and the rest of the coaches have seats, (it worked on the UP for a few years)

i STILL just dont understand the logic for having those riduculous bathrooms in every car. if i were on the metra board and i wanted to waste space on something, MAKE IT PRODUCTIVE!! DAMN YOU!! make every car a bar car, that would be useful

in any case, because metra is so fixed on making every train set look boring. will this have any impact on 553 because its painted? (god forbid)

#70338  by MikeF

There's more variety than ever on the north side of Union Station! The next train could have any combination of 7200's, 8200's, 7400's, 8400's and 8500's.

I agree, we don't need a toilet in every car -- but people will complain either way.

I don't suspect any of this will affect 553, since that car is not owned by Metra.