Railroad Forums 

• NERAIL SERVER DOWN!!! NOOOOOO!!!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#45956  by NellsChoo

I am sure many of you know about the NErail photo archive. It is a great place to post your latest New England area train photos, as well as older "good thing I got it" shots.

If you have visited in the last few days, you have been greeted with a sad sight: the NERail server has crashed. It appears to be located in MA, while Jeff Morris, the archive curator, lives elsewhere.

If you are a frequent user of NErail, you have come to depend on it. It is a great place to see what you want to see, New England area railroading. If you think maybe you can help Jeff out, please email him.

I know my daily ritual won't be the same if I can't post or see other posts on the site :( It also means some people can't link to a NErail photo here on RR.NET!

Jonelle

#46080  by caboose

There is an update on the site stating that it will be back up in a few weeks instead of a few months as the webmaster had thought.

#46128  by NellsChoo

I saw that. But we all know how plans can fall through. I sure hope this MA person can indeed help out!

#46264  by Srnumber9

Yeah!,

Wouldn't you know I joined the thing just a month ago and posted a whole 3 photos! (2 WW&F and one SR&RL railcar at Boothbay Railway Museum)

As somebody who has destroyed at least 3 magazines just by subscribing to them (so help me!: they were great while I was buying them from the news stand!), I feel a certain paranoid sense of responsibility!

But seriously folks, NERail is a great website! I go on about 8 or 10 sites every day, and it is the one I'd say is most likely to have something new and interesting to see. (...and at least it doesn't wind up costing me money like E-bay!)

I certainly hope them success in restoring it to operation.

(I won't remove the bookmark, just keep hoping every time I click on it!)

#46362  by NellsChoo

I know how you feel... I have "lost" a few cool magazines in the past as well...

It seems NErail is popular enough to survive, but it all hinges on this server and its location relative to the site owner.

#47694  by Srnumber9

It's back up again!

The maintainer moved it to a local server as a temporary measure and the archive will stay operating at slightly reduced capabilities until they fix the regular one.

#49807  by NellsChoo

Uhoh... are we down again? Maybe they are working on the main server? I hope so... I posted some pics just last night!

#50626  by CRail

you have to start at photos.nerail.org www.nerail.org will not take you where you want to go.

Nerail Photo Archive

#50633  by NellsChoo

I noticed that. Does that mean the email list is gone now? I wasn't a part of it, but know people who were. When I posted last, I think I had an internet hiccup. I should have deleted the post as I just plain feared the worst again!

#52095  by MEC407

It is up and running. The photos have been downsized a bit, to save on bandwidth and storage space, but it is back. When Jeff is able to make repairs to the original server, the full-size photos will be restored and the site will again run at full throttle.

http://naphotos.nerail.org

or

http://photos.nerail.org

#56595  by Srnumber9

Alive and Well!

-and now just past 25,000 photos (and counting)!!

Remember when 5,000 was a big deal?

#56621  by Srnumber9

Great photo! Wonderful lighting!

I would have chosen something from the two-foot gauge lines, but I'll admit that's just a personal bias!

NeRail is also at or near the top of my daily must-sees. I go through a minor withdrawal when it's down!