Railroad Forums 

• NECR Trackside book by Kevin Burkholder (or lack thereof)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1268368  by nydepot

That would be nice, but that's what he told Otto at the top of the thread last year.

MEC407 wrote:Mr. Burkholder just posted this on the NERails Yahoo Group in response to someone who asked about the book:
We have finally gotten all out hurdles cleared and are hoping to have them shipped in the next month - depending in turnaround from the printer. We have the list and packaging ready as soon as the books arrive.

They will be up to date with the planned NECR renumbering inclusive.

Additionally working on an updated VRS guide to have reviewed by VRS before sending to print.
 #1269245  by MEC407

Mr. Burkholder posted another comment about the book on NERails today:
The book has been finished and now revised dozens of time. Under RailAmerica there was no issue with material being used, however the rules changed during production when GWI came into power. I was asked to hold off until material could be reviewed "for sensitive" information. This has been a long behind the scenes push to get what the railroads feel is "sensitive" info, de-sensitized.
 #1269422  by TomNelligan

I find it interesting that Mr. Burkholder apparently agreed to give the subject railroads the right to approve or reject what he published. Back 20-30 years ago when I was writing rail books and articles for national magazines, that sort of arrangement was unheard of in the hobby field, not to mention in serious journalism. I guess the lawyers have taken over these days.
 #1269424  by CannaScrews

It could be the type of information provided.
For example, any financial, future plans, internal processes could be considered proprietary information and so be subject to prior approval.

Besides, who wants to get involved with solicitors?
 #1269727  by newpylong

TomNelligan wrote:I find it interesting that Mr. Burkholder apparently agreed to give the subject railroads the right to approve or reject what he published. Back 20-30 years ago when I was writing rail books and articles for national magazines, that sort of arrangement was unheard of in the hobby field, not to mention in serious journalism. I guess the lawyers have taken over these days.
If he provides information from the timetable, all of that is employee confidential and proprietary. Says so as soon as you open the binder up.

Judging by the information he puts on lists someone throws him bones from the inside, so he probably doesn't want to cross the line.
 #1278356  by MEC407

Another update from Mr. Burkholder has been posted on the NERails group:
Kevin Burkholder wrote:If you've ordered the NECR Trackside Guide and been as frustrated over the process of having this book printed as I have been, then you'll be happy to know that it will not only be printed in the coming weeks, but we will also make it and a new version of the VRS guide available as digital book downloads. We received many requests for a digital version of both books and we are working with an ebook publisher to make that happen. Will send an email when the print copies are shipping and when digital copies become available.

The process to get the NECR has been grueling, but with all the changes still forthcoming, has also lent to numerous updates.

If you've ordered the book we have your info and we will be shipping to you. We will print additional copies and make those available when all pre-orders have shipped.
 #1289035  by CannaScrews

oibu wrote: ........... and a model railroad manufacturer must get rights to put a railroad's logo on an ho scale boxcar?
I'm not a lawyer, but I slept in ......

Put on your thinking cap & place yourself in the railroads position. Now, depending on how RR management looks at their logo there are a number of scenarios:
  • We paid for the logo (either by internal or more $$$ external designers) and/or we value how our corporate logo appears to the public; and if we can recover some of our costs - so much the better. If the for-profit companies don't want to pay us for the rights - tough nuggies.
    We don't need our company logo on some bleeped toy train.
    Our logo/herald is our point of focus to the general public and we would like to have final say as to how it is used in other businesses.
Just imagine if you wanted to make a decal of Tinkerbell with the phrase "One poof & your problems are over" which will fit on a septic tanker truck 1:48 model. I don't think the Solvaset will be dry before you get a knock on your door.

Then again, this is not a model railroad thread - and there are valid legal issues that could arise and to be addressed if one would restore a 12"=1' artifact and a bonafide corporation holding the rights to copyrighted material would object.
 #1289061  by frrc

IMHO the permission to use the information in the book should have been ironed out before the book was announced. Back in 1994 when I wrote "The illustrated Guide To Peter Gray Railroad Hardware", I got approval from the Peter Gray Corporation in Cambridge to use their name and information in the book.

Copyright issues can be a long and painful process, i've been fighting a person using one of my trademarked names in their business since 2012, and in spite of letters, lawyers and wrangling, they continue to defy the law.

JoeF