Railroad Forums 

• NAUG RS-3 questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#149792  by viewfinder

RBP
Last edited by viewfinder on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

#149848  by Railboy76

This is the original B&M 1508 and is still equipped with her steam generator although it is in very poor shape not likely to ever be used again.

#149878  by viewfinder

RBP
Last edited by viewfinder on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #149892  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Now the RMNE has RS-3's that operated on every New England RR that owned them except for the Rutland and NYC . The 1508 ran on B&M and D&H both New England Roads, the 557 was a MEC engine and 529 an NH.
 #149921  by John_Henry

Not quite Mike. The Central Vermont had two RS-3's.

You could make an argument that the CPR RS-3's assigned to St. Johnsbury int he 1960's count, too. And the St. J & LC, too.

[quote="HighlandRail/DEY-7 652"]Now the RMNE has RS-3's that operated on every New England RR that owned them except for the Rutland and NYC . The 1508 ran on B&M and D&H both New England Roads, the 557 was a MEC engine and 529 an NH.[/quote]

#150871  by B&M E7

Railboy 76? You state that the B&M 1508 is in "very poor shape and is unlikely to ever run again". What's your scource? or is that an original "fact" that you just made up?.
While very few 50 plus year old vehicles are in showroom condition, 1508 is very much scheduled to run again, SOON ! She was purchased specificly for that purpose. Such mis-information does the preservation movement a dis-service in the already skeptical railfan community.

#150926  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

If you read Railboy 76's comment it states that the steam generator is in very poor shape and won't be used, not the entire unit. Again his reply is in regards to the steam generator.

#151000  by AlcoMD

It think it is safe to say that the FOURTH RS-3, (AMTK 140-ex PRR ?) will NEVER run again.

So, the best one can hope for is a mere RS-3 tripleheader...

a trio, a triad, a threesome....

#151018  by shadyjay

Never could I find the ex-PRR RS-3 #140. Never did see it hiding out in the museum yard on the Valley, or in Essex or DR. Was it off-property during the early 90s? Where is it now?

-JH

#151036  by Alcoman

B&M E7 wrote:Railboy 76? You state that the B&M 1508 is in "very poor shape and is unlikely to ever run again". What's your scource? or is that an original "fact" that you just made up?.
While very few 50 plus year old vehicles are in showroom condition, 1508 is very much scheduled to run again, SOON ! She was purchased specificly for that purpose. Such mis-information does the preservation movement a dis-service in the already skeptical railfan community.
While the museum is collecting ex-B&M RS-3's, there is YET another B&M RS-3 that could be saved (although the above statement might apply here)
The Mohawk & Hudson Chapter has B&M 1547 sitting in Colonie Yard near Albany, NY ( a shell for the most part) This might be ok for a static display or for really ambitious people, a total rebuild to operating condition.
Any takers? It is free for the taking as long you pay for the transporation.
Contact the M&H Chapter, NRHS.
 #151102  by H.F.Malone

Guys, please chill out!!!!

Railboy76 and B&M E7, you both know each other!! Railboy76, B&M E7 did not quite understand that you were indeed referring to the Vapor boiler "carcass" in 1508. You both know that 1508 was started and tested and inspected in Michigan a few weeks ago. OK, please let's be friends again.

As to the comments about RMNE "collecting B&M RS-3s", the owner of 1508 had long planned it to go to RMNE when he no longer needed the loco. He had mentioned it 5-6 years ago. The M&H Chapter unit is actually the D&H RS-3 that was traded to B&M, and therefore has little relevance as a B&M unit-- it was little used (if at all) by B&M. The fact that is a hulk, that it will need lots of prep work to move, and the fact that it is owned by M&H Chapter, all weigh heavily against RMNE being interested in it. We have enough to do, and why would we want that unit? M&H has shown no inclination to deal with any group to take on equipment that M&H no longer can care for (the NYC T-and S-motors are good examples).

The whole thing revolves around resources-- the availability of funding, people, space and interest. And all those resources are scarce and getting more so. 1508 was purchased with pledges of real money from people really interested in seeing it back in New England, operating on a real New England rural branch line.

As to the AMTK 140, Jay, it is in the same place it was in from about 1990 to the present date. Just 'cause you can't see it doesn't mean it's non-existient!!! "Hiding in plain sight" is a good phrase---

Relax, guys; we're really all on the same side!! Most of us, at least.
 #151221  by Cosmo

Can anyone get close to it with a camera? OR, can anyone give me/us directions so I/we can try ourselves? That is, to take picture and post for others.
 #151222  by Cosmo

Can anyone get close to it with a camera? OR, can anyone give me/us directions so I/we can try ourselves? That is, to take picture and post for others.

#151240  by Railboy76

B&M E7 wrote:Railboy 76? You state that the B&M 1508 is in "very poor shape and is unlikely to ever run again". What's your scource? or is that an original "fact" that you just made up?.
Since my reply to B&M E7's post was removed I'll say again just for the benefit for those who may have difficulty in comprehending my original post I was speaking of the steam boiler only not the locomotive as a whole. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding and thank you for being so kind and diplomatic when questioning my post.
:-)