Railroad Forums 

• narrow band conversion

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#464872  by kitn1mcc

has any one started to do this conversion yet. or have issues with the money ppl on buying new radios

#465018  by CarterB

Are you speaking about conversion from lo band to UHF or VHF or from the FCC mandated changes from 25KHz to 12.5 KHz frequency splits?

#465240  by kitn1mcc

the 12.5 khz i am surprised they have not waved rr for this

#465273  by DutchRailnut

Noboby will change current railroad radio's cause changing it would require all new radio's for about 16 000 or more locomotives.
and another 9000 or so base stations and 48 000 portables in use on todays railroads in US

#465369  by clearblock

The AAR had prepared detailed plans for orderly transition to narrow band and petitioned the FCC for nationwide licensing of the VHF RR frequencies to the AAR to facilitate this. The FCC, under pressure from other user groups that don't like the idea of exclusive RR frequency allocations since they would like the frequencies for their own use, shot down the proposal.

The FCC plan for 12.5 kHz bandwidth on channels only 7.5 kHz apart is a bad idea and requires careful geographical separation between adjacent channels. With the FCC granting licenses to non-railroad users, including trunked private carrier systems, and each railroad needing to work out their own transition plan, it is going to be a big mess.

Transition to narrow band or digital by individual railroads is going to be a disaster for use of run-through locomotives. It could be like the old days of 4 channel AAR radios where you had to change out the radio if the locomotive went to a different subdivision.

The deadline for narrow band is now 2013 and it has been postponed before so any rush to change now does not make sense.

If you want to read about how the AAR would like to do a coordinated transition check out this link:

http://tinyurl.com/8man6

#465391  by CarterB

As a Motorola and I-Com radio dealer who facilitates the coordination of FCC licenses on a weekly basis, I can tell you that the transfer date for all radio equipment from 25KHz splits to 12.5KHz splits, moved back several times from original compliance date/s is now set for Jan 1, 2013 for all current and active licensees, and Jan 1, 2011 for anyone wanting new licenses and/or additional frequencies assigned. My direct contacts at the FCC tell me that those dates are now firm, and not likely to be rescinded due to the multiple notifications to Licensees since 2003 on this subject and that radio manufacuters were mandated to make 25 to 12.5 switchable radios before that 2003 date. Radios purchased by railroads over the last 5 yrs or so, should be switchable from 25KHz to 12.5KHz.

In addition, the target date for new equipment that will handle the 12.5 and the next target splits of 6.25 KHz is Jan 1 2011. Which means that railroads (and others) may well want to consider not only changing over to the 12.5 capable radios but go ahead and 'think forward' to radios that can also be switched to 6.25 at the future date.

More importantly, railroad licensees (and others) should plan NOW to modify their existing licenses to get the new 12.5 splits on their licensed frequencies, and move the freqs apart, if necessary, to avoid overlaps. If they don't, there is absolutely NO guarantee that the FCC will relicense them on existing frequencies and they may be 'thrown into a pool' for getting frequencies reassigned.

Rather than continuing to drag feet, it is wise to go ahead and plan on either reprogramming switchable capable radios and/or beginning to purchase those that are and contacting their FCC coordinator well before the deadline to update their licensed frequencies and set aparts.

#465492  by MC8000

So if I gather correctly from what is being said here....as long as the radio equipment that you now own is able to recieve a narrow band signal and is programmable for the new splits, you shouldn't need new equipment to listen to the railroads. Am I correct?

#465497  by CarterB

MC8000,

Yes, if your radio/scanner is programmed on the 12.5MHz splits you would be able to listen until well nigh near 2020. Even if your radio was 25MHz splits most likely you'd still be able to listen since the railroad will still have the same 'center point' on the frequency. Might get a bit of static or cross traffic from other users who are using the next adjacent frequency split.

#465570  by MC8000

Thanks carterB, I thought that was the way I understood it earlier on...just wanted to check to be sure. I wonder if any of the railroads will be using PL tones when transmitting? So far, I haven't heard of this but I suppose anything is possible. This option at least would help keep down noise levels on such a narrow bandwidth.
I have an IC V8000 as a base at home, an IC 2100 mobile and my portables are ICW32A and a Vertex150. I also have a FT 7100 that I use as a back up rig. The Icom are like bricks, Yeasus are weak in comparison.

73 KC8JBK

#465635  by kitn1mcc

yeah it is going to be a big mess. i know here were i do radios for when i give them the information they are gonna go nuts on the money issue

#465924  by clearblock

Motorola discontinued production of the locomotive Astro Spectra late last year so options are limited for upgrading to narrow band.

The only AAR locomotive radio I am aware of that is narrow band compliant and still in production is the GE 12R Series II.

A short line that does not need full AAR channel capability can use almost any radio and power it with an external 72/12V isolating converter but the options seem to be limited for upgrades if you want a full AAR clean cab unit.

#465975  by kitn1mcc

yeah for use it is the money with buying all new radios

what we do is install a 12vdc alternator and battery for 12

#466897  by EMTRailfan

I have a PDF file from work that has all of the updated deadlines from the FCC. The file came from Federal Signal. For some reason, I'm having trouble copying and pasting the text. Will email to anyone interested, or who thinks they can post it on here.

#467072  by CarterB

Clearblock,

Sorry, but that is four year old information.

For those of you who want to 'wade through' basically what I previously summarized, be my guest.

Go to: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/

In the Docket/RM put 99-87

and search for FCC-07-39A1.doc