Railroad Forums 

• My first radio scanner...

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#697332  by iceman977th

I've been wanting to get something to use when I railfan, and I finally have it. Uniden Bearcat BC560XLT 16-channel programmable police scanner w/ NWS weather radio. Got it from a guy for $30, includes AC plugin & car plugin, plus a mobile antenna. I've already used my labelmaker to mark down CSX, NS, and KRT frequencies, after I spent half an hour to program them into the scanner.

Not the best, but can't beat it for $30.
 #697339  by RedLantern

Here's mine, a Bearcat BC220FB I picked up at a yard sale for 5 bucks when I was 17. The guy I bought it off didn't have any idea what it was. I spent a lot of times in Ayer with it on my passenger seat with it's 12v input connected through some half ass wiring to the cigarette lighter plug. I have a cheap radioshack handheld now, but that old one seemed to pull in the signals so much better. I'm not sure what ever happened to it, I wish I still had it, maybe it's somewhere in the basement under the pile of junk on what was supposed to be my HO train table.
 #697346  by scotty269

I'm using my dad's old Radioshack Pro-23 and it picks up local RR and ATC. It's a bit dated, but it does what it needs to do! :-D
 #697669  by jaymac

scotty269-
u had me buggin w/ ur avatar

First scanner? A 16-channel crystal Bearcat squeezed into the glove compartment of a SAAB 96 with a wye off the AM-FM radio antenna
 #697760  by scotty269

jaymac wrote:scotty269-
u had me buggin w/ ur avatar

First scanner? A 16-channel crystal Bearcat squeezed into the glove compartment of a SAAB 96 with a wye off the AM-FM radio antenna
Heh...
 #699733  by Finch

Holy crud scotty, that's a trippy avatar.

My first (and only) scanner is a RS PRO-82 bought new. But seeing this thread reminds me that I should expand my "yard sale junk" survey to include scanners/radios, in addition to the usual electronic gadgets that normally catch my eye. I love the idea of coming across some old gem to feed my (currently underdeveloped) interest in radio.