Railroad Forums 

• Mott Haven Yard, Bronx, N.Y.

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#979681  by Tommy Meehan

Those are some nice shots. In the one on railpictures it looks like some commuter coaches are in the yard.

I remember riding by Mott Haven in the late 1950s and early 1960s when it was filled with passenger cars, S Motors and activity.
 #1008449  by Jeff Smith

Came across this doing another search. That track map is something. One thing I noticed; the wye from the Harlem Line south to the Hudson Line (or Port Morris and Spuyten Duyvil railroad?) north was double-tracked. Metro-North restored and electrified the wye as single track at some point in the 90's I believe and it's now used for Yankee Stadium service as well as equipment moves. What was the status of the wye in NYC days? Was it electrified? When MNRR assumed control, was the wye in service?
 #1008510  by Tommy Meehan

The wye was in service during Central days though I don't remember if it was electrified. It was used by freight trains heading to and from either the Harlem Division or Westchester Avenue (the Port Morris Branch) to the yards along the Harlem River or to the West Side freight line. There was one through train that used to use the wye in the 1950s and 60s. DM-2, mostly perishables from Dewitt yard (East Syracuse)to Westchester Avenue (Port Morris).

The wye remained in service throughout Penn Central and Conrail. As a freight route from the Hudson Line to the ex-New Haven Oak Point yard. OPSE and SEOP used to stab Metro-North trains all the time crossing over at Morrisania. Pretty sure by then the wye wasn't electrified though.