Railroad Forums 

• Most Active and Safe Place to View in Lowell/Boston Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1313753  by drvmusic

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you know some safe and legal places to watch trains with more frequent traffic in the Boston/North of Boston/Merrimack Valley area. Difference between weekend and weekday?

Sorry if this has already been covered.
 #1314218  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Great views of Lawrence from the Andover St. grade crossing, which is literally inside a portion of the yard. There's a city bus that takes you right there from Lawrence station, or it's in not-too-bad walking distance from the station. Safe during daylight hours, but not the nicest neighborhood after dark.

Bleachery in Lowell is easily visible from Moore Ave. a short and also bus-accessible distance from Lowell Station. But Bleachery is way, way, way less active than it used to be and little more than a parking spot between Ayer and Lawrence these days. You're not likely to see very much there except the other end of the same longish trains parked on the Lowell Branch tracks next to the mainline Lowell platforms. Lawrence is way better for seeing a variety of stuff actively puttering around.
 #1314227  by jaymac

drvmusic-
Do or will you have your own transportation? That will make a considerable difference.
If you don't already have it and time permits, the Oxford Junction Press Guilford Rail System Timetable (search-engine of your choice) will be a valuable resource, especially when coupled with an up-to-date navigator and transportation.
Finally, dunno what your experience-level is, but the famed situational-awareness/street-smarts combo is always helpful. Reconning an area with Gearth or something similar and then by eyeball to determine comfort level before committing to stopping and/or getting out to view is never bad practice.
 #1314779  by consist

I was always too impatient to railfan in that vicinity, especially with my experiences elsewhere in the country (Howell Wye in Atlanta being my favorite), so I would generally eschew sitting in one spot and instead drive a "sweep" from Lawrence to Lowell to the wye at north Chelmsford, and afterwards to Stony Brook and Ayer if I was feeling my oats and had the time. There are just not a lot of trains to sit around for. But I agree with Lawrence as probably the hottest of some lukewarm spots.
 #1314804  by Rockingham Racer

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Great views of Lawrence from the Andover St. grade crossing, which is literally inside a portion of the yard. There's a city bus that takes you right there from Lawrence station, or it's in not-too-bad walking distance from the station. Safe during daylight hours, but not the nicest neighborhood after dark.

Bleachery in Lowell is easily visible from Moore Ave. a short and also bus-accessible distance from Lowell Station. But Bleachery is way, way, way less active than it used to be and little more than a parking spot between Ayer and Lawrence these days. You're not likely to see very much there except the other end of the same longish trains parked on the Lowell Branch tracks next to the mainline Lowell platforms. Lawrence is way better for seeing a variety of stuff actively puttering around.
The bus that crosses Andover St in Lawrence [#32] does not originate at the McGovern Transportation Center [Lawrence Station]; like most routes, it starts at the Buckley Transportation Center on Common St. The best way, then, would probably be to get off at Andover, and get on the 32 bus on its way to Lawrence. It runs 7 days a week, as well. Problem with Andover St. is there is no place to sit down, unless you're in your own car.