Railroad Forums 

• MORE PASSENGER CARS FOR THE M&E FLEET

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#93187  by Al Holleuffer

The M&E has acquired four more Budd built stainless steel coaches, three from Amtrak and one from VIA Rail Canada. They along with two of the Maine Eastern coaches were set off in East Dover by NS last Monday. The two ME cars were picked up by the M&E crew later in the weekbut the other four were still in East Dover as of Friday. The VIA car appears to be one they bought from Amtrak and not a former Cnadian Pacific coach.

Al Holleuffer

#93335  by Jihn z

Ha, I was just about to post this, I saw them today while driving through Dover, and I figured they were the M&E's, very neat to see these cars sitting there while Transit is wizzing by.

#94163  by Tri-State Tom

Is that TSRHS's Lackawanna caboose along for the ride there ?

#94169  by RS115

Tom,
Looks like M&E #4 to me which was out & about with 4223 yesterday saw it go past my office at one point.
Andy

#94772  by Lackawanna484

The two Maine Eastern cars are over in Whippany. Saw them Thursday morning.

I think the numbers were 1004 and 1001.

M&E's storage capacity is filling up again. There are several passenger cars over at Jefferson Road, several more (maybe 8?) in Whippany, prob others in nooks and crannies. There may be a few on the remaining Channel Lumber lead, too.

#94959  by jhdeasy

kpiersol wrote:Could this be one wrapped in what appears to be plastic outside the shops yesterday?? I didn't know that they traveled like this.

http://kpiersol2.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... x?id=88017

I think this is a car that was stored at Whippany for some time and then went into the shop at Morristown ... it is a former L&N or Southern lightweight bedroom lounge observation car ... a round end with high windows ... ROYAL ????? ... the tarp was used to prevent water intrusion damage before repairs were made.

#97410  by RS115

Correction to my original post
Four ex-Amtrak cars were brought through Whippany today in a strange lashup (from the east end):
4231 running but not working, the 4 Amtrak cars (in varying shape), Hack #4, a tank car for Polaner (forget the new name) all being shoved by #18. Nice cloud of BLACK exhaust as they notched out for the Whippany hill. I'm guessing they were going to shove the coaches up the Vornado spur and had the two engines to facilitate the move.

I now believe that these are NOT the 'new' Amtrak cars mentioned above. These cars were stored up the branch along with two ex-LIRR cars and the ex-EL Safety Training Car that is now at Makars/Jefferson Road.

They've made some other moves this week. The hulk of Erie Mining 7216 is now at Jefferson Road along with two of the ex-LIRR coaches that were pushed up the branch till last week. The E-L Safety Training Car joined them today. Haven't had a chance to see if they replaced them with anything up the branch or just clearing it out for some reason. Looked on Saturday - up the branch is a Bulkhead Flat, an older box car of some kind and likely two ex-AmtrakMHC's (hard to see over the fence and didn't have time for a hike)

489 is stored at Junction (by 287) with a coach and ballast cars.

#98372  by Lackawanna484

I think the Channel Lumber spur (where the LIRR coaches were stashed) may be part of the new Cadbury HQ project now. Just east of Jefferson road, curving off the main out toward NJ 10. Once crossed NJ 10 into the brickyard, I believe.

It might be worth taking a walk along the M&E by Algonquin Parkway / Melanie Lane one of these days. There are (were?) several sidings in the back of the one time shippers there.

#98407  by Al Holleuffer

The three ex-Amtrak and one ex-VIA Rail Budd coaches I mentioned in my first post are still in East Dover as of this morning. An M&E employee told me they were left there due to lack of space to store them on the Whippany Line. I have also heard from another source that about a half dozen more ex-Amtrak cars are enroute to the M&E right now.

#98972  by Lackawanna484

Al Holleuffer wrote:The three ex-Amtrak and one ex-VIA Rail Budd coaches I mentioned in my first post are still in East Dover as of this morning. An M&E employee told me they were left there due to lack of space to store them on the Whippany Line. I have also heard from another source that about a half dozen more ex-Amtrak cars are enroute to the M&E right now.
An Amtrak car turned up in Whippany Tuesday. On the station track, just east of the ped crossing. Looks like a Heritage diner, hooked to the RS-1. The yard is pretty close to plugged now. Prob 9 or 10 passenger cars in there plus the museum cars and power.