Railroad Forums 

• More New Power.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #384703  by Mr GP10

Please forgive my venting.........Otto I ask you to please not lock this thread...... I will say this once...... As more new customers arise for the NYAR, shouldnt they be thinking about or even considering some kind of better engines???? Im very sick and tired of asking this question. Is the problem being the LIRR wont let NYAR get "extra" power? I guess Im missing the point. The LIRR stuff is ok. But its BORING GPs and MPs c mon.The current power will not last forever. I very seriously think the NYAR should CONSIDER getting or leasing some kind of "extra" or "back up engines" I could be wrong. I guess ASC packages are not hard to come by?????? as far as I know????? Someone Please answer me this What will happen when the leases on the Ex LIRR engines are up? Lastly what is all these rumors about the NYAR possibly acquiring some NS GP-15s????

#384802  by Scrap em Again

No new engines, no NS engines, NOTHING! NADA! ZIP! All rumors, let them die. Im sure when the employees of NYA will get info on engines, it will be leaked here. So give it a break for now.

#384822  by emfinite

I saw Scrap Em All this morning in Greenlawn heading east. He had a PHL tunnel motor coupled to the 155 running light. You guys have to look out for the engine, they even repainted it into NYA.

Joe

#385031  by Mr GP10

Scrap em/Emfinate...........It seems that I have caused some what of a mess here. I apologize. Now that would have been nice sight to see a 6 axle tunnel motor on LI property :( PS Emfinate can you please send me a PM? I have to ask you something. No its not about more power either lol. Thank You.

#385107  by tushykushy

Part of the reason they aren't going to need to resort to new power is with the new blood within the shop. Gone are the days of constant excuses, delays, and the "out of sight, out of mind" swager. They have really awesome people making sure things are running tight over there. I've had the pleasure in speaking with all of them and it's really amazing how they turned around a sloppy operation.

#385685  by mutz155

ACTUALLY THE NEW POWER WILL CONSIST OF A LOCOMOTIVE IN THE SHAPE OF A CABOOSE WITH ALL THE GENIUSES WHO THINK THE NYA IS GODS GIFT TO RAILROADING. PS.... BEING OF ROMAN DESCENT AND NOT ALL YOU WANNA BEES: VENUM....VICHY (SOIS)....VEEDEE....CIAO!

#385989  by Spartan Phalanx

It's actually veni, vidi, vici....

#386227  by KFC Jones

New blood in the shop? Is GKL rail services out of there? What about Crackhead Johnny?

Who are the new guys, ex-LIRR?
 #386932  by SwitchMonkey

"Expect them when you see them next"

Nothing ... but if ther WERE to be new motive power, they may come from other Anacostia and Pacific roads. Keep it in the family.

#387005  by freightguy

I've had the pleasure in speaking with all of them and it's really amazing how they turned around a sloppy operation.

Hmmm... spoken from an outsiders perspective :wink:

#387071  by tushykushy

Ahh yes.... but a level headed, grounded outsider!

freightguy.. I think even Ray Charles can see that the few individuals who run the show within the shop run circles around the previous head honcho. Don't really see many engines laying around OOS like I used to.

-Joe

#387075  by tushykushy

Anyway, unless a few engines blow up, far beyond repair... or the business booms so out of control that extra jobs need to be created to meet the demands I highly doubt you're going to see the Big Green monster aquire new power. Even more unlikely with engines outside what they already have. That means having to learn the in's and outs all over again. So a Alco RS-32... or a SD26, or a E8 aren't going to be likely.

#387367  by jayrmli

Wait...they fired Jerry?!? I'd have never known. (This from an insider's perspective.)

Last I checked, five engines out of service and sitting by the shop. Five out of what...14 engines? That's 35% down. They're only supposed to have 1 down at a time.

Jay

#387376  by Jayjay1213

I got to meet one of the new mechanics last week and he seemed pretty enthusiastic about the task ahead of him. Enthusiasm and actual progress are two different things. During the week they had 5 engines OOS, and poor mumbles got sent home early at least once due to a lack of power.

In a either stupid move, or really smart move, rumor is they are promoting a certain conductor to a trainmaster position. Stupid because as one trainmen told me, "how can I respect a guy who couldn't even do the job he is now supposed to supervise", or a really smart move because now at least the customers on his branch will get decent service again.

That's what's nice about the NYA, unpredictability.

#387426  by Tadman

Didn't A&P send a South Shore guy out to NYA a while back?