Railroad Forums 

• (MOM) Rally for Rail on May 22, 2005

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#127873  by OCtrainguy

I received a letter from the Central Jersey Rail Coalition as well as Ocean Ride announcing a rally to be held this coming Sunday (May 22) in Lakewood. See details below:

Rally for Rail (MOM) 1:00PM - 3:00PM
Rally for Rail by the Central Jersey Rail Coalition, Lakewood Town Square, 3rd St & Clifton Ave, Lakewood.

It is also indicated on the NJ-ARP calendar on their website.

http://www.nj-arp.org/calendar/index.php

#128842  by Metalrailz

Anyone here going to this rally...Its my get out of jail free day so I'll be heading south

#128936  by njt4172

I guess Monmouth County doesn't have a large presence of NIMBYS like we do up here in Somerset/Union/Morris??? I can't believe they actually praise new rail service down there........

Steve

#128951  by Jtgshu

No, there's lots of them down here, but just not on the Farmingdale/Freehold/Jamesburg routing in Monmouth County at least.

There are boatloads of them along the Freehold branch, along with a small, but vocal group in the Shrewsbury area on the Red bank routing.

But most of the people down here know that hte train is needed, as Route 9 is, for lack of a better word, horrendous.

#128954  by Jtgshu

Oh yea, did anyone catch the APP article the other day (im sorry I don't remember the day, and can't find it in the archives) about how Monmouth and Ocean counties did their own ridership estimates for the various MOM routings, and they were SIGNIFICANTLY differentt than NJT's? The article stated that NJT claims 9000 riders via Monmouth Jct the first year, while the counties figure closer to 40,000 riders in teh first year. The article also stated that they met with G. Warrington and he was very intreged by the info and promised to go over the numbers with his staff and look again at their numbers.

The article stated they used info from the 2000 Census long form about where people live, how they get to work,a dn where they work at.

Anyone else catch this article? I think it was Tues or Weds.

#128962  by OCtrainguy

I do plan on being there Sunday.

With roads like Route 37 and county routes such as 571, 527, 526, 528 and 524 to name a few, there are many routes that will lead into the tracks. I think that people would travel those roads to gain rail access. I, for one, know I would do it in a heartbeat.

For example, I don't know how many people living in towns such as Beachwood or Berkley Twp. may have been included in the projection numbers. Lakehurst is not that far away....

#129709  by OCtrainguy

I had wanted to attend the whole rally yesterday. However, I couldn't get tickets for the first showing of Star Wars yesterday, so I had to settle for the 11:30 a.m. showing.

I was able to get to the rally yesterday, though by the time I got there, which was just before 2:30 p.m., the rally was already winding down. The speakers had finished, there was some music being played, and there were a few people mulling around the tables. The main seating area was pretty much empty. My wife and I signed the petitions, showing our pro-MOM support, talked to a few people and then left.

There is an article in today's Abury Press Press recapping the rally.
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... /505230319

#129710  by Douglas John Bowen

NJ-ARP representatives Armstrong, Bowen, and Kerwin made it a point to loiter for a bit after the meeting officially ended, but somehow we didn't get to meet OCtrainguy and family.

But signing the petition was more important; thanks for doing so.

NJ-ARP will have (part of) its take on the meeting published in our upcoming Hotline #512.