Railroad Forums 

• Mohawk & Hudson Railroad

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1264102  by Piyer

Greetings,

I'm knocking around diorama ideas so that I can get my HO-scale DeWitt Clinton out of the Band-Aid box... literally - it's been stored in a tin Band-Aid box for the past 25 or so years. And this thinking process got me to wondering what the M&H's terminals looked like. I know there were inclines with stationary engines to pull the train up them, but was the DeWitt Clinton cutoff and turned at the foot of them, or did it go up the incline too? How did they turn the locomotive - wye or turntable? And does anyone know of a diagram of the railroad in those early days that they point me toward? This won't be a huge diorama, but I kind of would like to be somewhat realistic rather than just a generic scene to stuff and mount the train on.

Thanks,

~AJ Kleipass
 #1264286  by trainsinmaine

I remember seeing bits and snatches of the Mohawk & Hudson ROW years ago as it ran down through the 'burbs between Schenectady and Albany. How much of it is still there, and has any of it actually been preserved? It's hard to believe the State of New York would ignore this as much as it has.
 #1266543  by PhilBob1

Believe a small section is still visible between Lydius Street and Carman Road in Guilderland. It was there when I grew up in the neighborhood in the 1950s-1960s and we used it as a shortcut path between the two roads. Not sure who owned it but it separated two fields then owned by a local farmer.