Railroad Forums 

• Moffat Line Traffic

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#100633  by The S.P. Caboose

I know that there had been a time that the COFC traffic had been routed to the south, Tennessee Pass when it was open, more commonly further south over Beamont Hill in Southern California.

Currently the coal traffic on the branch line between Craig and Bond travels the Moffet Line. Amtrak's California Zephyr travels this line as well.

Anybody know how much traffic travels this line?

Thanks.

#100769  by The S.P. Caboose

I found out that there are 2 BNSF; 2 Amtrak; 1-2 UP manifest and 15-20 UP coal trains a day running over the Moffat Line.

#101869  by dhaugh

Thanks for the help! Dave

#105942  by BlockLine_4111

Why does BNSF use the Moffat route ? Did BNSF abandon or downgrade a competing parallel route in favor of trackage rights ?

These UP coal trains on the Moffat Route like to run w/a huge HP surplus margain. Big widecabs in the middle and rear too.

#105985  by The S.P. Caboose

From what I'm hearing, BNSF has trackage rights over UP's Moffit Line.

With the coal trains, I always was impressed with the traffic that had a need for swing and rear helpers. I used to see that on the old SP in the Tehachapi's.
 #108903  by espee

BNSF does in fact have trackage rights on the Moffat. That was part of the deal with the SP/UP merger. BNSF used the line more after the merger than it does now. :-)

#108912  by AmtrakFan

I believe BNSF Ran 2-4 right after the merger.

#108923  by The S.P. Caboose

Hi espee,

Thanks for confirming what I been hearing from here in Southern California about BNSF trackage rights. :wink:

Is it true that UP abandon the Tennessee Pass line so BNSF wouldn't take that line over? I knew BNSF has a yard in Pueblo.
 #108940  by espee

Rumor had it that there was no way UP was going to let anyone have the line. UP sold the Royal Gorge to the Canon City & Royal Gorge Railway, then wanted to get it back. The CCRG refused to sell it back. UP does have trackage rights on that section. I had heard from several MOW workers that BNSF would have used Tennessee Pass for low priority traffic but couldn't get it.

#108976  by The S.P. Caboose

WOW!!

I've seen the Tennessee Pass line on video tape, Pentrex. Beautiful sceenery!! :wink:
 #109036  by espee

When word got out that the line was going to shut down, I think every tape company in the world hit this area! I have several tapes and they are all very similar, but of course, some are better than others. :-)

#109062  by The S.P. Caboose

I hear ya espee. There where a couple of years, pre merger with the UP when the SP had stopped running freight traffic up and down the California coast. This was 1988-1990 and Amtrak along with Burlington Northern had their eye on the coast. Long story short, SP started running trains on the coast.

#112428  by dhaugh

Unfortunately, my trip to Colorado and the Moffat (however it's spelled) Tunnel was spent mostly on the slopes. (ok, not so unfortunate) But our time at Winter Park was spent mostly in the back hills, so all I saw was one coal train going into the tunnel. However, we did manage a stop at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. Good trip, and thanks for everyone's help and information. Dave