Railroad Forums 

• Military Vehicles on Pan AM train in NH

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1279747  by KSmitty

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Shouldn't be talking about military moves...just observe and keep on buffin. Military moves happen all over the country, take pictures and carry on
Its not like its a secret...
CN9634 wrote:It's for a DODX move, see more details here: http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/1254 ... -exercises" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not sure what the official railroad.net policy is on DODX moves. I'm sure RT will step in if I step over the line. But I figure if its in the paper, its probably fair game to talk about here. I also don't see why its so important to be secretive around most DODX moves. This thing called free speech, 'sposed to be protected. And if Al Queda's best plan is to derail a train full of tanks and humvees in the Berkshires then they are seriously wasting resources, Pan Am is perfectly capable of doing that themselves. :wink:
 #1279812  by NHV 669

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Shouldn't be talking about military moves...just observe and keep on buffin. Military moves happen all over the country, take pictures and carry on
all overseas moves would be by ship... most vehicles here stateside have no armor at all, and would not be going anywhere. Anything needed in the middle east is already there. This is just simple training, happens to several brigades several times a year
 #1279853  by MEC407

KSmitty wrote: But I figure if its in the paper, its probably fair game to talk about here.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! :-D
 #1279864  by highrail

Pretty interesting. I spotted a long string of empty flats up in Canterbury last week end and could not figure out what they might be doing in that area...had a fantasy of a new intermodal terminal and increased traffic :wink:

Steve
 #1280542  by NellsChoo

There's really nothing odd about such a move. Stuff is coming back from the middle east, etc. If it is in daylight, within view of the public, no guards, then no problem, as far as I am concerned.

I did, though, ask my brother in law, who just got back from a 3 week drill in VT, if he knew anything about that equipment. He did "The Shultz" as well...

I wonder how the military handled these types of moves during WWI/WWII. I mean, back then, we REALLY needed to "zip the lip". Would be an interesting thing to find out, logistics-safety wise...
 #1280548  by Backshophoss

There's a Defence contractor somewhere in the south that does the M-1 tank overhauls,or the move was to
Fort Knox for training(both wild guesses)
There's only 1 port I know of that handles roll-on/roll-off Miltary ship moves,thats near Beaumont Tx.
On an as needed basis,BNSF handles Military Equipment moves from Ft Kileen Tx to Barstow Ca
then by road to Fort Irwin,the National Training center.
 #1280560  by NHV 669

Backshophoss wrote:There's only 1 port I know of that handles roll-on/roll-off Miltary ship moves,thats near Beaumont Tx.
On an as needed basis,BNSF handles Military Equipment moves from Ft Kileen Tx to Barstow Ca
then by road to Fort Irwin,the National Training center.
yes. that is correct. All of our container shipments were thru Beaumont. BNSF did all of our moves, to/from Ft. Carson, and I was on hand several times for our load/unload responsibilities over my enlistment. My last training excercise while in was at NTC, and I believe all track vehicles were hauled by semi contractors. Ft. Irwin signs out trucks/humvees/necessary tracks for units that are training there.
 #1280597  by Watchman318

NellsChoo wrote:I did, though, ask my brother in law, who just got back from a 3 week drill in VT, if he knew anything about that equipment. He did "The Shultz" as well...
Maybe he actually didn't know, because his unit wasn't involved with it? Is your b-i-l in the New Hampshire or Rhode Island National Guard?

Did anyone read the part in the article DickH linked to, about an ARNG unit from NH going to Michigan for training? Then too, although the newspaper apparently added some information to the article, it's still full of speculation about how maybe it's equipment for Iraq, yada yada.

It's the 3rd Battalion, 197th Field Artillery Regiment, going to the Camp Grayling Joint Maneuver Training Center to train with Guardsmen from three other states (RI, MI. and WV) and a battalion from the 10th Mountain Division at Ft, Drum, NY. No tanks. <http://minationalguard.com/michigan-gua ... s-grayling>