Railroad Forums 

• Mid-Atlantic Gateway - Plesantville NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1609270  by Bracdude181

Looks like another company is going to run a very small portion of the Pleasantville Industrial Track. Like, VERY small. Only 634 feet of track!

As to who Mid Atlantic Gateway is, here’s their website: https://magateway.com/

This will be very interesting!
 #1609271  by jdh823

The way I see it, it looks like it would he like Hainesport is: a transload site. Interesting nonetheless
 #1609550  by pdtrains

Re: pleasantville .....

This is not the 1st company in NJ to apply for common carrier status, for what seems to be a short amount of industry track.
I would suspect that there are some sort of tax advantages, or it makes them more eligible to receive grant money from the state.
 #1609670  by jdh823

pdtrains wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:12 am Re: pleasantville .....

This is not the 1st company in NJ to apply for common carrier status, for what seems to be a short amount of industry track.
I would suspect that there are some sort of tax advantages, or it makes them more eligible to receive grant money from the state.
There's nothing in that area so this is brand new.
 #1609694  by Sir Ray

jdh823 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:52 pm There's nothing in that area so this is brand new.
Maybe in terms of Transload, but there are actually several rail-served (or former rail-served) facilities in the area. The STB filing itself conveniently uses a Google view to show the area in question, so matching up to a Google Satellite view to me it looks likely they plan to repurpose the 84 Lumber site (South of the branch, east of GSP) , unless they plan to build new in the smallish space north of the tracks between the GSP and Penn Jersey Building Materials (not sure how they'd even squeeze in an access road to that with a lot of expensive Easement rights).
IMO they should of thought big and took over that half-deserted "Forman Mills"-anchored retail center to the W of the GSP - there's plenty of gyms and charter schools around, but not nearly enough transload sites...
 #1609746  by jdh823

There's something being built on the other side of 84L. I'm thinking whatever it is is going there.
 #1610922  by Ken W2KB

pdtrains wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:12 am Re: pleasantville .....

I strongly suspect that a primary reason is that common carrier status results in primary federal jurisdiction. That preempts a large portion of state and local control over operations, zoning, type of materials to be handled, noise, etc.