Railroad Forums 

• Michigan commuter service, Beeliners

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1445306  by Otto Vondrak

Someone posted in another group that in the years 1972-1978 while living in Ann Arbor they remember occasionally riding a New York Central Budd RDC to commute to a job in Detroit. He also said sometimes the Budd car would break down and they would be hauled by a diesel. I thought Michigan Beeliner service ended in the 1960s, if not earlier? I'm curious about the history of NYC's Michigan passenger service.

-otto-
 #1445320  by deathtopumpkins

Wikipedia suggests that Detroit - Ann Arbor commuter service continued into the Penn Central era, using an RDC until Amtrak took it over in 1975:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Executive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (includes a scan of a 1972 schedule).
 #1445345  by Otto Vondrak

Thank you, I didn't realize the Michigan Executive was a continuation of the old NYC commuter service. Thanks for the link!

-otto-