• Michigan Central Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 366 posts
  by gokeefe

Agreed on both counts. I think they are making a move and MCS is part of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by nomis

Ford unveils Michigan Central site plan for Corktown
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 332106002/
Ford Motor Co. on Tuesday unveiled its site plan for Michigan Central, the project to transform the area around the historic former train depot in the city's Corktown neighborhood into a campus focused on the mobility and transportation methods that will define the future of the automotive industry.

"Our vision is really about creating the future, and creating a hub for global innovation that will be anchored by 2,500 Ford employees and 2,500 others," said Mary Culler, Ford's development director for the project and president of the Ford Fund. "We want this to be a place where we can build new ways for people to have access to mobility, to lead better lives, and of course we want it to be a great destination for the community."
  by Gilbert B Norman

Hardly without surprise; no plans whatever for any kind of rail use. It appears that the
former platform area is to become some kind of "mobility area" with plans for a self-driving corridor to Ann Arbor - presumably for electric vehicles.
  by Anthony

Actually, as part of the project, Ford said that they plan to keep a few of the tracks for potential Amtrak or commuter rail service to the station. Unless you've read that they've changed their mind about that, don't believe that the artist's renderings of the site will be 100% accurate. Keeping some of the tracks is critical if Amtrak is successful in extending one of the RT's of the Wolverine to Toronto, as the current station site is not best suited for such a service expansion.
  by gokeefe

That was my thought as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk