• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by BigDell

That was probably OI-32, the transfer from Oak Island to Metuchen. That sounds a bit early for the train, as they normally run very late at night, but obviously they also run even earlier sometimes
Thanks TAMR213! It was indeed right at 7:20. I was taken aback to actually see freight passing Metropark. And I was dropping off my son's godmother for the 7:42 NY train and it had started snowing again so the scene and the time was etched in my mind. OI-32. Will definitely be scouting for that one when the days get longer. Is it a Sunday or weekend-only train? I'm guessing it wouldn't be a daily at that time of night, with all the NJT/Amtrak action on a weekday??
  by TAMR213

BigDell wrote:
That was probably OI-32, the transfer from Oak Island to Metuchen. That sounds a bit early for the train, as they normally run very late at night, but obviously they also run even earlier sometimes
Thanks TAMR213! It was indeed right at 7:20. I was taken aback to actually see freight passing Metropark. And I was dropping off my son's godmother for the 7:42 NY train and it had started snowing again so the scene and the time was etched in my mind. OI-32. Will definitely be scouting for that one when the days get longer. Is it a Sunday or weekend-only train? I'm guessing it wouldn't be a daily at that time of night, with all the NJT/Amtrak action on a weekday??
Opps, misread your post a little bit, but after re-reading:

OI-32 is the weekday transfer, and as I said usually runs in the middle of the night but of course there are exceptions. I am not as clear on the weekend train, but I believe it is symboled OI-82 or something of the sort. This train also usually runs late at night, but there seems to be more variation in the timing. In addition, I am not sure if this is a Sunday only or a Saturday and Sunday run. Perhaps some other posters can provide or correct any information? Having a scanner handy helps greatly when trying to catch freight on the corridor - if you hear a freight train between the Newark area (say south of the Budweiser Brewery?) and Metuchen, it is the transfer to Metuchen Yard, and if you hear a freight anywhere between Metuchen and Deans it would be the ME-2 local (which usually runs more late morning to early evening). There are also from time to time (rarely) special runs of other trains - for example after Sandy, the transfer to Browns Yard had to be run via MIDWAY, and last fall there were a few high and wide loads (transformers) also transported to Browns via MIDWAY.

Sorry if any of my information is incorrect as I've become somewhat less familiar with operations over the past few months (gotta fix that!), but I hope that it was of some help.
  by Erie Limited

That's a pretty good synopsis, Erik. I seem to catch or hear the transfer job more on Sundays rather than Saturdays, although last weekend it ran on Saturday as OI-8.

I heard ME-2 last night around 5:00pm crossing from track 4 to an out-of-service portion of track 1 at County. I assume he was headed down to Deans as he definitely did not head north at that time. Must have been a late night for the crew.

Rob
  by BigDell

MANY thanks Erik, I live five mins from Metropark so I'm going to try to get over there more with scanner in hand....
  by OportRailfan

ME-2 is west down by County looking to run around 13 cars and work the Millstone, I believe.
  by TAMR213

OportRailfan wrote:ME-2 is west down by County looking to run around 13 cars and work the Millstone, I believe.
Wow, big train today. Thought I heard him earlier this afternoon but wasn't able to catch it. If he has that many cars there is no way hes going to Deans, and if hes running around the train at County Yard he will either be working the Millstone Branch or he could just be making the trip back to Metuchen Yard easier on himself.
  by OportRailfan

ME-2 headed west with the 5280+18 to County @ 1400
  by nick11a

Erie Limited wrote:It sounds like OI-32(?) had an issue with a SPLAT early this morning around Linden which caused some delays on the NEC:
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=9445639
Makes you wonder how heavy/light those things are and what higher speeds might do to them.
  by OportRailfan

OI-8 headed east on 2 Trk from Lincoln with the NS5313+CSX????+NS????+42
  by Train2009

There was a transfer train this morning with CSX #8829, NS #5280, CSX #4406 from Metuchen yard to Oak Island yard with a empty load.
  by TAMR213

ME-2 east through Highland Park at 6:39 PM

Caboose leading, followed by 3 covered hoppers and being pushed by CSX 4406 lhf (or shf if it was headed west)
  by Erie Limited

This morning I heard OI-32 ask for permission off the wye at Lincoln to head east. The dispatcher informed him he'd have to wait for "a few" trains to pass, so I decided to head that way. Light Sunday morning traffic allowed me to get to Metuchen Station before he departed. The train consisted of CSXT 4441 and NS 3376 plus a SPLAT. He passed the station at 9:05am.

NJT cooperated by having a westbound local stop at the opposite platform so I could get this photo:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=477636

Slightly off-topic, but while passing through Metuchen about two hours later I heard Amtrak KN702 heading east at COUNTY, so I decided to wait. It turned out to be a loaded ballast train heading for the out of service track at Elmora.

Here are two views of the train, which had power on the front:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/erielimited/13837758124/

And rear:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/erielimited/13837415803/

Rob
  by BigDell

Slightly off-topic, but while passing through Metuchen about two hours later I heard Amtrak KN702 heading east at COUNTY, so I decided to wait. It turned out to be a loaded ballast train heading for the out of service track at Elmora.
Still slightly off-topic, I saw an Amtrak engine pulling a string of Hertzog hoppers a week ago at Rahway. Was wondering where they were going, thanks for the info.
Gotta get down to Metuchen and try to catch some of the yard action.
  by TAMR213

ME-2 is currently looking for permission to come off the Millstone Branch with 4 cars and head back to the 0 track at EDISON. They were told by CETC-8 to get in touch with ME-5 who is currently working the Mobil plant in the receiving yard. ME-2 and ME-5 spoke to each other and pretty much agreed to "stay out of each others way" once in the yard.

ME-2 was notified that they will be waiting for an NJT local currently at MIDWAY (and waiting behind NJT YN-62 currently ahead of them on the branch) before being given permission back east. In addition, ME-5 came on the radio and clarified with CETC-8 that two switches on the wye at LINCOLN are currently lined and spiked in certain directions, necessitating the specific movements of ME-2.

EDIT: ME-2 east through Highland Park at 6:06 pm. Caboose 22137 leading 4 covered hoppers and being shoved by CSX 4406 shf.

Also, come to think of it I'm not sure if ME-2 was actually coming off the Millstone, or from DEANS. I say this, because ME-2 also reported clear of an OOS track that after further listening is apparently between MIDWAY and COUNTY. So, due to this info and the way the train was set up, I suppose he could have been coming from DEANS, and CETC-8 then just held him "at the signal" (which usually refers to the signal on the branch, but maybe not in this case) at COUNTY for the two other trains. Alright, enough rambling for one day...