• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Erie Limited

Tuesday's ME-2 passed through Edison eastbound at 5:50pm with NS 5311 shoving three cars and the caboose:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=451691

Earlier I heard him getting permission off the out-of-service track 1 at Midway. I assume he worked Deans, and the three hoppers would confirm this.

Rob
  by OportRailfan

1 Car to Deans this afternoon, after coming off the East Leg, then back through Lincoln to head West.
  by bigblue5277

Erie Limited wrote:Tuesday's ME-2 passed through Edison eastbound at 5:50pm with NS 5311 shoving three cars and the caboose:

Earlier I heard him getting permission off the out-of-service track 1 at Midway. I assume he worked Deans, and the three hoppers would confirm this. Rob
By chance I was at Handy St. in New Brunswick today at 1:30 pm when I just so happened to see that blue graffittied caboose pushing north on the NEC followed by two covered hoppers and NS 5311. Are these two covered hoppers an indication that they worked Deans?
If so where is Deans located and how often is it served?
  by TAMR213

bigblue5277 wrote:
Erie Limited wrote:Tuesday's ME-2 passed through Edison eastbound at 5:50pm with NS 5311 shoving three cars and the caboose:

Earlier I heard him getting permission off the out-of-service track 1 at Midway. I assume he worked Deans, and the three hoppers would confirm this. Rob
By chance I was at Handy St. in New Brunswick today at 1:30 pm when I just so happened to see that blue graffittied caboose pushing north on the NEC followed by two covered hoppers and NS 5311. Are these two covered hoppers an indication that they worked Deans?
If so where is Deans located and how often is it served?
With it being so early in the afternoon, along with the short train being led east by the caboose, it would seem as though they were at Deans today. There are also customers that receive covered hoppers at National Can, General Tire, and on the Millstone Branch, but usually if the train is short (only 2 cars as you indicate) it is coming from or going to Deans. Also, if the train is returning from the Millstone Branch, they will usually (but not necessarily always) run around their train in County Yard, so the engine(s) lead back to Metuchen. Also, don't know what direction they were headed but I heard ME-2 pass through Highland Park again later in the afternoon - around 6:30 or so.

Don't know exactly how often Deans is served, but it seems like its probably at least once a week. Deans switch serves the warehouses on Distribution Way in South Brunswick, just north of Deans Lane.

Hope this helps.
  by TAMR213

Well this is interesting, only took ME-2 about an hour at most today to drill National Can. Then just a few minutes ago they reported in the clear onto their portion of the Millstone Branch (presumably to do some drilling there) - bypassing General Tire today.
  by Erie Limited

ME-2 with NS 5311 the caboose and 9 cars just passed through Edison northbound at 6:35pm.

Sounds like he came out of County.

Rob
  by TAMR213

Don't have an exact time or car count, but ME-2 was west through New Brunswick at probably about 4:15-4:30 with NS 5311 headed to the Millstone branch with the normal consist of a few each of C&D gondolas, covered hoppers, and boxcars. Listening to the scanner, sounds like they might be waiting or about to head back east to Metuchen off the branch.

EDIT: ME-2 east through Highland Park at 6:33
  by TAMR213

ME-2 just given permission off of the Millstone Branch up to the east leg of the wye at LINCOLN.
  by TAMR213

Don't have an exact time or engine number, but ME-2 was west through New Brunswick sometime between about 4 and 4:30 pm. Had an NS engine leading, and if I remember correctly 1 C&D gondola, 1 boxcar, 3 covered hoppers, and the caboose.
Bano7384 wrote:Does anyone know if they still run a local up Riverside drive in Keasby/Edison? There is a place on Crows Mill Rd called Montecalvo Recycling which had service to at one time. Last time I seen freight cars in his yard was janurary of this year. Also there is some sort of business on riverside drive which was getting switched out however last time I seen this was in the summer time. Does anyone know if they still have jobs on this line and what this lines name actually called.
Wish I could provide you with a better answer, but the last I knew was that HATCO Chemical was an occasional (albeit infrequent) customer, along with Bayshore Recycling (aka Montecalvo - as you mentioned). According to a post by Wolfboy on page 7 of this thread the recycling plant was a few years in the making, so heres to hoping they still ship by rail. I've seen that piece of track listed as the "Raritan Industrial Track", but those documents are from quite a few years ago so there is the chance it could be referred to by another name these days. Hopefully someone else can provide more concrete information.
  by TAMR213

ME-2 east through Highland Park at 17:51 from the Millstone Branch, back to the east leg at Metuchen. Couldn't really tell, but it looked like it might have been NS 5311 shf and lite with just the caboose.
  by TAMR213

ME-2 in the clear at National Can at 1:15 pm.

ME-2 on the move west from National Can to General Tire at 3:14 pm.
  by TAMR213

ME-2 is currently waiting to open up the switch at DEANS - this is complicated by the fact that track 1 is currently OOS under the supervision of a Track Foreman.
  by OportRailfan

Yeah I heard 8 giving a Form D to take it out from County to a barricade 50' east of 12 Sw. @ Midway. Don't know what they were working on to need the track OOS during the day...
  by Erie Limited

Is the tie replacement project now progressing on track 1 west of County? I haven't been down that way in a while.

Rob
  by TAMR213

CSX 8855 given permission east past the stop signal on 2 track at EDISON and onto the 0 track (presumably with OI-82) just a few moments ago.
Erie Limited wrote:Is the tie replacement project now progressing on track 1 west of County? I haven't been down that way in a while.

Rob
Not sure as I haven't been down that way myself, but I guess it is possible - there have been occasional track outages during the day (in addition to your run of the mill, middle of the night track work)