• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by TAMR213

Erie Limited wrote:ME-2 was through Edison eastbound today at 5:27pm with a short consist including the caboose, two cars and CSXT 2798.

Here are two photos...first, approaching Edison caboose first, being overtaken by an NJT equipment extra:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/erielimited/15140106171/

A few seconds later, the NJT extra is almost out of view as ME-2 passes through the station:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/erielimited/14956426960/

Rob
Nice shots Rob! I know I haven't been posting in this thread regularly, but they were west through Highland Park yesterday around probably 2 so IIRC. Had 3 or 4 cars.
  by Erie Limited

Thanks! I haven't been posting a lot either; I was in a dry spell with actually catching ME-2.

Regarding the conductor...he's probably tired of riding on such a neglected-looking caboose ;) This crew on has been on ME-2 for quite a long time now and they are usually very friendly.
  by bigblue5277

a CSX geep lhf with 2 boxcars and the graffiti-covered Conrail caboose were heading south on the NEC past Adams Yard at 4:30 this afternoon. Does anyone know where it was headed and what the ID was?
  by Erie Limited

Conrail OI-8 was westbound through North Elizabeth Station at 1:40pm with CSXT 4406 & CSXT 8829 and a good-sized train, heading for Metuchen Yard. I also heard ME-2 talking to CETC-8 a little earlier, so there is a bit of freight action on the NEC this afternoon.

Rob
  by OportRailfan

Erie Limited wrote:Conrail OI-8 was westbound through North Elizabeth Station at 1:40pm with CSXT 4406 & CSXT 8829 and a good-sized train, heading for Metuchen Yard. I also heard ME-2 talking to CETC-8 a little earlier, so there is a bit of freight action on the NEC this afternoon.

Rob
Right on. Those 2 motors and about 30 cars. They're in on the O track.
  by ccutler

Thanks for posting the photo! I like it also because it shows the full consist, and gives a good idea of the type of freight business Metuchen and Raritan Central are handling.
  by ccutler

...in particular, plenty of lumber, not as much warehousing business as I would have hoped based on the number of box cars, not as many covered hoppers/plastics business as I would have thought, and not many tank cars.
  by OportRailfan

OI-8 just went east with 2 motors off the east leg of the wye
  by Erie Limited

ccutler wrote:...in particular, plenty of lumber, not as much warehousing business as I would have hoped based on the number of box cars, not as many covered hoppers/plastics business as I would have thought, and not many tank cars.
For anyone who might be interested, I finally got around to posting a video of this train so you can see the entire consist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGv2uvhSqi8

...for what it's worth the power sounds great as they accelerate up to speed!

Rob
  by TAMR213

Erie Limited wrote:
ccutler wrote:...in particular, plenty of lumber, not as much warehousing business as I would have hoped based on the number of box cars, not as many covered hoppers/plastics business as I would have thought, and not many tank cars.
For anyone who might be interested, I finally got around to posting a video of this train so you can see the entire consist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGv2uvhSqi8

...for what it's worth the power sounds great as they accelerate up to speed!

Rob
Nice video Rob.

I'm sure the uptick in lumber on this train can probably be attributed to the Home Depot Warehouse relocating to Raritan Center (from a Browns Yard served location in South Brunswick). A little bit surprised at the lack of covered hoppers and absence of C&D hoppers.

Any chance you have been or will be out to catch the "special movement" over the NEC, Rob? Sadly I don't think my work schedule will allow it.
  by Erie Limited

TAMR213 wrote: Nice video Rob.

I'm sure the uptick in lumber on this train can probably be attributed to the Home Depot Warehouse relocating to Raritan Center (from a Browns Yard served location in South Brunswick). A little bit surprised at the lack of covered hoppers and absence of C&D hoppers.

Any chance you have been or will be out to catch the "special movement" over the NEC, Rob? Sadly I don't think my work schedule will allow it.
Thanks!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to catch one of the evening "special movements". Maybe next week, if they're still running.
  by gregorygrice

ME-2 still serves the Delco Industrial track Monday-Friday right?