Railroad Forums 

• Metrolink—Connex

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#73538  by Guest

Passenger rail operator Connex North America was awarded a 5-year contract to operate Southern California's Metrolink commuter rail services. The award was made by the Southern California Regional Rail Authority, which oversees and funds Metrolink. Metrolink operates 7 commuter rail routes serving greater Los Angeles, carrying approximately 40,000 passengers daily. Amtrak, who were eliminated from the contract bidding last month, will continue as operator until Connex takes over on July 1, 2005.

To all Metrolink Employees: Good Luck! :(
 #74439  by AmtrakFan

Can the employees stay or do they have to go with Amtrak?

#75683  by exile

Connex ran the South East England commuter services for a while. They were dreadful - they had to get the government to bail them out and lost the franchise.

#77547  by SnoozerZ49

I work for a Company that Connex is an owner of :( . When Amtrak left we were given the opportunity to apply at the new company. When the last day of Amtrak service rolled around our jobs were abolished by Amtrak and the new company assumed the service using the same jobs. It was a relatively painless transfer for employees. Within a few months we were all recalled by Amtrak for a few job openings. If we did not accept the recall by Amtrak we were terminated. This gave Amtrak a chance to clear us all off their employment roster and terminate all our rights, they would not have to deal with us again.

To anyone working out there, be careful and watch your back! They are typical Europeans that think they are more highly evolved than mere Americans.

#92180  by Irish Chieftain

Connex is currently running the "Luas" light rail system in Dublin, Ireland (which I am not pleased with, by any stretch—I would say that the Citadis LRVs that run on there now, the ones that can't MU, were part of the consultants' back-room deals).

Connex also runs the "Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad" company (current operators of MBTA commuter rail) as well as a number of bus routes in various states (they run local bus service for NJ Transit in Middlesex and Monmouth Counties, to my knowledge).

This bunch are highly unprofessional. The French don't even let them anywhere near their own heavy-rail operations, so what does that tell you...